Brown Nuisance Algae

Tru2nr

Hey guys been a long time; I've got an issue trying to identify this algae. Kind of reminds me of Dino but it doesn't have that cyano thinness/air bubble trapping. I'm running GFO, and Biopellets with a slimmer that does pull decent skimmate. All perams test within proper range trItes/treated/phos undetectable(probably just hidden in the algae). Lights are running for roughly 9hrs a day all LED doesn't ever crack the 55% mark and 3-4hrs is simply blues with the whites ramping up. Please help trying to figure out best way to attack this. I only have 1 clown and one fire shrimp in a 20G cube with 10G sump, I bought a 8g bio cube as a temp. Holding tank if need be.

c14377a5bf5a7a2072ee1177c3a15d97.jpg

021888a17168c66c8a5bdf3af3d8a7d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cracker

Tru, is this stuff offwhite in color and slimy? Does it dissipate and turn into a cloud when blasted ? I have had probs the same stuff. I keep blasting then let it settle then siphon. repeat again and again. If You can remove a piece and swish / scrub rinse ( in salt water) then replace. Your system is just going thru a phase . It looks bad though. I think it's called Ghost Algae. Please let us know if You find any info on this stuff,

Tru2nr

It is definitely not white, it's a very light brown color and can get thick. It does break up into little pieces that settles at the bottom like in the picture

StirCrayzy

Alex ! Good to see you around again !

I'm not sure this is that same ghost algae though, Brian.
I remember pics of that ghost algae looked like the fuzz that grows on dead FW fish when they sit at the bottom of your tank for 2 days.
I'm definitely no expert in nuisance ID, but my guess is some sort of dirty cyano.

Tru2nr

Thanks man, life's been crazy on the good side of things. Def missing my big set up; but I do think I'm going to set up the cube as a holding tank and than pull the clown and shrimp out and just start pulling and scrubbing rocks and start doing large water changes

Tru2nr

So I'll be making the switch for the bio cube here soon, curious to people's thoughts on this. Since the cube will be fish only I'm going to take a few prices of the rock that was originally live and put it in the cube, think I'm good to just go all NSW and than drop the fish and shrimp in there or you think I'm going to experience a bit of a cycle

StirCrayzy

Originally Live? If it's dry now, you'll have a cycle. I would wait it out like any new setup.
NSW - Natural Sea Water or New Salt Water? Either way won't change the cycle much.

Tru2nr

No originally live as in never was dry and was what I used to seed my tank so I'll be moving that live rock over to the biocube with new seawater and a seeded filter floss should be enough to not see a cycle or if I do it's tiny

Tru2nr

Haha true maybe I'm just questioning my habits since I've come across algae that I can't even put a dent in it lol