Brown algae with a lot of bubbles

Hoot81

Well here we go... about a 2 month ago I started up at 125gl long tank. I added sand and the dead rock to the tank. I was called out of town for work can so I asked my gf if she could fill the tank up with water. (We have a 36gl nano tank so she should know what I mean by fill it up.) When I get home after 2 weeks I find the she only added Ro water to the tank. (Wth) I add salt to it and get it to where it needs to be add some sand, water and rock from my nano tank to help seed it. After a month all test came back good rock and sand is clean and white. Put all my rock and fish from the nano to the big tank (not the sand). No fish or coral died.. with in days I get brown stuff with bubbles all over.. and cant get rid of it..
I have cut my lighting to 6hrs, I only feed 3 times a week. Very little hits the bottom... what can I do to get rid of it? I tried to add pics but it wont let me

Reactions: SPR

Hoot81

Well here we go... about a 2 month ago I started up at 125gl long tank. I added sand and the dead rock to the tank. I was called out of town for work can so I asked my gf if she could fill the tank up with water. (We have a 36gl nano tank so she should know what I mean by fill it up.) When I get home after 2 weeks I find the she only added Ro water to the tank. (Wth) I add salt to it and get it to where it needs to be add some sand, water and rock from my nano tank to help seed it. After a month all test came back good rock and sand is clean and white. Put all my rock and fish from the nano to the big tank (not the sand). No fish or coral died.. with in days I get brown stuff with bubbles all over.. and cant get rid of it..
I have cut my lighting to 6hrs, I only feed 3 times a week. Very little hits the bottom... what can I do to get rid of it? I tried to add pics but it wont let me

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181023-005154_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181023-005154_Gallery.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20181023-005150_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181023-005150_Gallery.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 17

SPR

It looks like dinoflagellates to me, I had them exactly the same and they are documented on my build thread. They crept up on me over a period of months until I realised what they were

There are of course different strains but I can tell you what worked for me.

I did a 3 day blackout of the tank, including closed doors and curtains and increased flow to the affected areas. When the lights came back up the tank was spotless and with the increased flow they never came back.

The corals should be fine, it’s just like a tropical storm in the ocean

And welcome to Reef Sanctuary as well!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS !

+1 ^ - a 3 day blackout of the tank... will work

may just be new tank progression... see if this link helps...
brown & green algae in new tanks

index.php