Bromide and the DOW Bromide Scare

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Since Randy's return to the RC chem. forum I asked him to look at the Bromide issue via PM awhile back. He has now addressed the issue in full as best we can.

Based on this calculation if you were using IO and need to boost up the Ca++ ~ 75 ppm or so the increase in Br - would only be about 2 ppm. Meaning it would be fine to still use it for as a boost even if you are using ozone.

The second issue is the DIY or LFS two-parts. This still seems to be an issue and it is not advised at this time not use the DOW. As far a salt mixes, using the DOW, we do not know if they are going to fix it if they use the DOW but are assuming/hoping they will.

As far as LFS two-parts, I know for fact, that TLF C-Balance has replaced theirs with Tetra and is more or less Bromide free.

However, we do not know when this DOW stuff will hit us, so a clarification is needed. Many Ca++ suppliers still have the old stuff. The DOW can be determined, if it is safe, if DOW bag lot number starts with U, which is 2006 DOW. So, it would "appear" that we are safe but I have no idea when the stuff will actually show up. You will need to look at the lot #. For LFS two-parts you would have to call the manufacture

boozeman

thanks for sharing Boomer as Im sure many of our members werent aware of this issue. Its good to see Randy is back :thumbup:
now if they can only fix the mess happening with salifert :smack:

Boomer

Randy returned only to help answer questions. He kinda had his 1 year break from posting and it is over so to speak or so it appears. He is not a MOD anymore but that is fine with me and the rest of us. He has been hammering the forum for the last 4 days :D Since he come back the # on-line on the chem forum has doubled :)

Boomer

Adding it no. In the DOW Process for making Calcium Chloride there are 1,000's of ppm of Bromide. They then extract that Bromide and sell it, like your hot tub additive. DOW is no longer in the Bromide business / say, so they will not be extracting the Bromide from the process. There are a number of process for making Calcium Chloride. The Limestone Method Process is Bromide free for example. DOW uses a mod, Solvay Process.

Boomer

There are not any Bromide test kits I know of. However, there are Chloride test kits. So, it would not be any leap to make such a kit, as the two are sister elements. Most kits in the Bromide sense are Bromine, which does us no good.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Boomer do you or Randy know who's carrying the Tetra ? I'm running out of DOW flakes and HD doesn't carry the DOW brand anymore.