Brine shrimp hatchery DIY

Choff

Ok, after this excellent write up I am going to have to try this again. Mine didn't hatch the first time around.

Oh...and when I was first looking at your pictures of dinner before I read the words I was trying to figure what that nasty thing was that you pulled out of your tank. :D

jaws789832

As soon as I get home from work on Saturday, I will do a post on how I do it. Seems to work like a charm, and I am able to grow them to adult size easy enough using phyto that I cultivate as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sirrealism

Nice Choff. The steaks were NY strips but my grill didnt put the nice lines in them because I flip them to often. The wife is picky about how she wants hers done LOL. Me put the body heat back in it and i am done.
Jaws789832 Looking forward to seeing how you do it. Not sure why you would want to grow them out since the good nutrients is in the egg sack but I have heard of people gut loading them before feeding them to there fish or just for a treat

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
sidebar - for perfect steaks try this... I started doing this exactly (the two links below) and they come out perfect with great grill marks every time - the timetable is spot on too... be sure to brush with extra virgin olive oil & turn once

http://www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?Dsp=32&FID=recipe_cookchart
http://www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?Dsp=32&FID=recipe_grilling

screenshot16.jpg

Ten Tips for Perfect Grilling
Clean and pre-heat your grill on high.
Lightly oil everything before you put it on the grill. This helps the searing process and prevents sticking.
Season your food before grilling, preferably with one of our seasonings.
Sear the outside of steaks when grilling. This really helps with the flavor and juiciness.
Use tongs or a spatula to turn your meat on the grill. Using a fork can damage the meat.
Cover your grill as much as possible during the grilling process. This helps to lock in the grilled flavor and will help prevent flare-ups.
Keep a spray bottle with water handy to douse any un-expected flare-ups.
Use the 60/40 grilling method. Grill for 60% of the time on the first side, then grill 40% of the time after you turn over the food. This will give you an evenly cooked product.
Place your cooked product on a clean plate. Never place cooked product on the plate you used to transport the raw product to the grill without thoroughly washing it first.
Allow your foods to "rest" for 5 minutes between cooking and eating. This will help them retain moisture when you cut into them.

Last edited:

jaws789832

OK as promised a step by step as to how I decapsulate brine shrimp eggs. I don't know if its right or wrong but it does work and my fish seem to love them with no ill effects thus far.

1. I gather all my equipment next to a sink as this does require some water to rinse and drain things into.
012_zpsf7b1cf02.jpg

the 2 bottles on the right, the big one is filled with salt water that I mix for water changes and the little one is just plain ole RO/DI water, not sure if RO/DI is really necessary but I always have some on hand so I use it for rehydrating and the final rinse. Also present are an Air pump, 20 CC syringe, K-cup reusable coffee filter, Clorox, a store bought brine shrimp hatchery and a simple home-made hatchery.

013_zps1c1b0a47.jpg

2. The first step I do is rehydrating the eggs. I use my little hatchery for most of this process because since my tank is little I don't need a huge quantity of eggs. I measure out 1/8th of a teaspoon of eggs and put it in the hatchery with RO/DI water. I let this bubble using the air pump for anywhere from 10 minutes to 1/2 hour depending on what I am doing at the time. I do occasionally stir it to keep all the eggs I the water as they like to rise and stick to the sides of the container out of the water.

014_zps4c74aeb3.jpg

015_zpsbc112c96.jpg

After about a half hour I take the eggs and strain them through the coffee filter. Notice how the eggs are kinda a brownish color at this time.

016_zpsfe64ba36.jpg

3. At This point I pour a little bleach into the little home-made hatchery. Using the 20 CC syringe I then squirt the eggs out of the coffee filter into the hatchery. I get as many as I can out and start the clock. I once again drop the airline into the hatchery and let them bubble for about 5 minutes. The eggs will turn from that brown color to a bright orange. This can be from 3-5 minutes but I never go over 5 minutes. The orange color is what you are looking for.

017_zps8b448d23.jpg

018_zps769122e2.jpg

019_zpsa5930eb4.jpg

020_zps6b111a81.jpg

4. At this point I once again pour them into the k-cup coffee filter and rinse thoroughly using tap water. I rinse until I no longer smell the bleach and then usually a little longer just to make sure. I then give 1 final rinse with RO/DI water.

021_zpsc9f76b87.jpg

5. I then transfer the eggs into the main hatchery using saltwater this time (I use the same mix that goes into my tank for water changes). I put a small light in them that runs 16 hours on and 8 off (only because its on the same timer as my phyto). I bubble them at a pretty good rate (Enough to keep the eggs from sticking to the side of the bottle). For the first few hours if I can I stir them occasionally also. seems like this is the worst time for them to want to kinda clump up and stick to the side. After that I turn the air down to a lower flow. as to not injure the baby brine.

023_zps7be3c6c0.jpg

022_zpscca7f262.jpg

From here I wait about 24 hours and start harvesting baby brine. For my little tank this nets me 2 feedings over the course of 2 days. Using a turkey baster I suck out about half of the baby brine and strain them through a brine shrimp net, then scoop up some adult brine from my other tank add them directly to my DT and the fish go nuts. 24 hours later I do the same thing again and start the whole process of decapsulating over. On the second day I also feed a pinch of pellet or frozen Mysis (depending on what I feel like doing at the moment) just to make sure the fish are getting enough nutrition. They seem to be fat and happy so it must be working.

jaws789832

OK you asked why raise them to adult. After I suck out the second feeding there are always some shrimp left in the hatchery. Being the humanitarian that I am (LOL) I didn't have the heart to just wash them down the sink so I started dumping them into a little plastic tank that I had laying around. I then add about a cup of phyto and a few drops of selcon to this tank. Before I knew it that little tank was loaded with about 1/2 inch long brine shrimp and seems to be self sustaining itself. I don't know if what I add is considered gut-loading but I figured it couldn't hurt and at feeding time the fish go nuts for the bigger shrimp.

024_zpsebe1b2ec.jpg

Since I have been gone for about a week, there isn't much phyto in here but you can see how large and how many adults there are. Usually the water is pure green.

025_zpsdbc51d59.jpg

Some of my other projects atm include a macro algae tank which I just started a week ago. The Chaeto has doubled in size since I put it in there and the red stuff (gracillia or something like that) is starting to off shoot. I bought the red stuff t feed to my pod tank, through it in there and they went nuts for it. the devoured half of it an about a day. I pulled it out and decided to cultivate it so I can feed it to them gradually.

027_zpsd8b4f6f5.jpg

028_zpsd4d1123a.jpg

029_zps61486139.jpg

That's the POD tank. It actually works out really well. At first I couldn't figure out how to harvest the little buggers to put in my Display but now Once a week I just clean out that little hob filter and there are usually hundreds that are in there. I dump them into the DT at night. I don't know if they are surviving as I never see them in my DT but once again all the critters in my tank seem happy so it must be working.

030_zpsab3e1947.jpg

That's my little phyto station. It works great, been up and running for about 6 months now with no crashes. I started using a DT's culture just to see if it would work and then bought some from Florida Aqua Farms. The Aqua Farm phyto grows a rich dark green (seems purer) than the DT's (seems a little cloudier) but I don't notice a difference in feedings. I occasionally spot feed some of my corals with this but mostly just add it to the brine and pod tanks.

011_zps3eead22e.jpg

That my little piece of ocean. Seems like everytime I break out the camera the fish run and hide but there are 4 in there along with a buncho other critters. Haven't lost a single thing yet (at least that I didn't want to lose) so I must be doing something a little right LOL.

Hope this was helpful and happy reefing.

Choff

Wow, heckuva write up! Thanks. I'm going home shortly to start -"cooking" me some brine shrimp.

As for the grilling tips, I agree with most except you never close the lid on steaks unless you are doing the indirect method. Otherwise, you are baking and not grilling. IMHO.. Of course.

Need to change the title if this thread to brine shrimp hatching & steak grilling handbook

...stupid auto correct

jaws789832

Ok last entry here. This is 24 hours later, I turned off the bubbler for about 10 minutes and turned off the lights and shined a flashlight at the bottom. All the little babies swam to the bottom, and notice how there is no shells floating on the top. That's decapsulating in a nutshell, Now its feeding time!

022_zps0e4afe3a.jpg

021_zpsd14e1b07.jpg

012_zps8542e288.jpg

sirrealism

Great job Jaws. If it works for you then thats what i am going to do too. Very simple and very detailed. So the shells fall through the coffee filter in the rinse stage? I dont drink coffee "Well I dont make coffee" I have regular coffee filters but I bet they wont work since it needs to be a supper fine screen. Guess i have to go to the most dreaded store in the world. "Walmart"

jaws789832

That's where I bought mine but I think even the paper ones work (not sure as I have never tried it). I think the shells just dissolve though because I never see any debris in the bleach. I actually reuse the bleach about 4 or 5 times. It just starts changing color a bit and that's when I toss it and start fresh. It must just be a chemical reaction where the bleach (sodium hypochlorite) dissolves the shells (calcium carbonate, not sure on this), but I am not a chemist so I really have no idea. I do know you can use bleach to dissolve water spots (which I think are calcium based as well), but vinegar works better for doing this, so it makes me wonder if you could use vinegar for this same process and net the same results. I doubt it though, vinegar would be very acidic and bleach is basic I think.

sirrealism

Ahhhhh Ok cool. Even better. I really appreciate it. Going to do this tonight. Oh ya and as far as gut loading your on the right track. Its all about feeding the brine something thats good for the fish right before feeding the brine.

cracker

That was a very good read! Do You Guys think that a steady supply baby brine shrimp could sustain a Mandarin , or would pods be better? How long do You think they survive in the tank?

sirrealism

Pods are better but yes they do work. Look at PaulB system. He has a mating pair and he has set up a brine shrimp feeding bowl. which the mandarins come and feed out of everyday. If they are breading shape then its working very well. PaulB also collects amphipods but they are much to large for the mandarins to eat but if the pods are breeding then the babys might be eaten by the mandarins. I keep 1 mandarin in my 90 and he is doing very well. I believe the brine is what is keeping him healthy because before I started using baby brine he was starting to get thin. Also remember if your going to keep a mandarin I would suggest some kind of macro algae in sump or fug. This gives the pods a place to breed and eat.

cracker

Thanks sirr, Iv'e run across Paul B's threads on several sights. The things he has done is amazing. I have a 200 gl tank,at least 300 lbs rock rock; running about 5/6 years. My Refugium is full of LR and there is "plenty" of algae growing as well. I haven't seen the bottom of this fug in years. There has to be pods in it, I just don't see any in the display when a do a late night search.I don't trust the idea that a pod can survive a trip over the baffles,thru the return pump and be in any condition to make new pods. What I want is to export them from the fug into the tank. So 1st, I'm going to pull a rock and shake it in a bowl to see how many pods I get then get one of those mesh shower things,I don't know what they are called. put it in the fug and see if it attracts any pods and shake it out in the display. If I'm not happy,I'll look into raising pods . I'm not fortunate to have a good Lady to tell me I can't set up a pod factory on the kitchen counter !

StirCrayzy

I always close the bbq on my steaks because I toss wet wood chips (various flavors) on the charcoal for some smoke.

Great write ups here guys, especially decapsulating the BBS. I'm gonna try it when I get my hatchery cranking again.
On a side note I bought eggs 5ish years ago and the hatch ratio is still 75%, but I've always heard that after a couple years they expire,should get tossed , and start with fresh eggs. Any experiences to add?

Cracker, I've used the mesh shower things to culture pods with. it works wonders, and I wouldn't have had a mandarin successfully without it. Get two, though. I would put one in DT behind the rocks overnight once a wk, the next week, the other scrubbie so pods could repopulate from one to the other and mature.

sirrealism

With your tank being as old as it is I am sure there is pods in there unless you have something that eats them like a wrasse. I know its hard to believe that pods can go through the return pump and be ok but they can. The pods you want are so small I dont know how much your going to catch in the shower thing but it might work. The other thing you can do is decap brine shrimp and then add the right to your tank. They will hatch in the tank. The wife lets me get away with raising brine on the kitchen counter because the house is very big and she does not cook. I do all the cooking. Plus the kitchen is huge and the piece of counter is at the very end. She is also not one of those people who likes to have company so no one ever sees it. If we were to have company I would move it under a tank. If I leave it under a tank I will forget it

Oxylebius

On a side note I bought eggs 5ish years ago and the hatch ratio is still 75%, but I've always heard that after a couple years they expire,should get tossed , and start with fresh eggs. Any experiences to add?

Similar experience here, I have eggs that are a couple of years old and this past summer I got them and the hatchery out and used some of the old eggs. Did get some that hatched, not sure the %, but nothing like I got when the eggs were new/young. I didn't let the hatched live longer then a day though b/c I was collecting the nauplii. Not sure if the old eggs have an effect on life expectancy of the brine shrimp, weakens them?

cracker

I just setup a brine hatchery! Now I have to wait. I used an old/old pack of shrimp that my buddy had as a 1st test run. The Sg is different for sure. Wonder how that difference from hatchery to tank affects the baby's.