Brine shrimp hatchery DIY

jaws789832

Pods are pretty hardy (at least mine are LOL). I found the best way to harvest them is with a little HOB power filter. Since my POD tank isn't connected to my MT Every week or so I take off the HOB filter and just dump the water from it into a Brine shrimp net. Nets me about 50-100 pods a week. The tank I have is just loaded with them. they get sucked up through the pump and into the media I have in the filter for easy pickins. As you can see I tried various other pod hotel type contraptions without a lot of success. The filter works the best IMO.

002_zpsd9m1hosq.jpg

Brine shrimp don't last long in a tank so it has to be a constant feeding if you want to feed with them. In my tank you can usually see them around for about 20 minutes after I put them in. Not sure if they all get eaten or they just die off. The fish do their best to take care of them fast LOL. In order to keep them alive long term you have to pretty much let them live in phyto. The water needs to be green, then you can actually raise them to adult size. They get about .25 of an inch (more or less) when fully grown. They are interesting little creatures. Guess that's why they were sold as sea monkeys when I was a kid many moons ago.

cracker

Hello, I just checked My 1st batch of hatched brine shrimps. about 30 hours now. I have live shrimps but I think a lot of unhatched eggs. The live look very orange with a lot of darker brown as well. I assume these are unhatched eggs. My water temp is at 70. how much longer should I wait considering the water temp, Should I wait longer? Now the empty shells did float tot he top, I got that part. Thanks!
Also I plugged the air pump back in. I hope all that turbulence didn't wipe them out.

Last edited:

sirrealism

If your really in question about it dont use them. If you see them swimming around then you should be good and 30 hours is perfect

cracker

Thanks Sirr! I think I have a good idea now. Ist round I got about a zillion of the shrimps. next day about 100 billion. LOL There were a lot! I just need to experiment a few times. I'm in the process of building a hatchery on Paul B's design. I'm concerned with cysts and shells included with the soda bottle design. So We shall see! Thanks again.
also what's the temp down your way? it's a miserable 46 degrees here in Jax!

cracker

Hey Sirr, we need to be careful complaining about our cold weather. The good Folks up north might call us sissy's! I wonder if they all own a snow shovel. I haven't seen one in 45 years! Anyway Thanks for allowing me to ask questions about MY brine shrimp experiments.