Bright green algae-neon

Susanedw

Have this covering all my rocks and some on sand bed. I tried blowing it off with baster and nothing. Tried scraping it with tip of baster, nothing. Tank numbers are all within normal ranges. No test kit for phos. yet but I've got a bag of chemi clean and purigen and 2 carbon in media rack. Tank started dec 15, cycled, had diatom bloom which went away, a bit of cyano that went away. Dry rock/live sand with biospira added and a prawn at beg. of cycle. rms max c250 (66 gal), weekly water changes. 3 so far. Standard tank aio with wavemaker and ato added.20170103_212853_001_resized.jpg 20170103_212857_resized.jpg 20170103_212900_resized.jpg 20170103_212904_resized.jpg 20170103_212910_resized.jpg

frisbee

If it doesn't come off the rocks with ease then it's probably just a prelude to the purple Coralline algae that shows up in our tanks. Cyanobacteria is another possibility too though, especially on the sand. This does come in a wide variety of colors. GL.

I started my tank in October and I have the thing. Like yours all my parameters are great. A person at the LFS told me the same thing frisbee posted (probably coralline). Any clue on how long we should wait on coralline to come?

frisbee

It's kind of hard to put a definitive number on that, but given the proper lighting/parameters it should start to grow really well after the first 6 months or so. Every tank is different though.
FWIW in one of my older tanks the back glass and most of the rocks were almost completely covered in Coralline algae after the first 8 months.

mr_tap_water

What type of lighting do you have and what settings as sometimes the wrong balance can cause this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Susanedw

@mr_tap_water sorry I didn't see this! I have the RSM c250. It has 6 T5's: 2 blues, 1 pink, 3 white I believe. I've cut the lighting down from 12 hrs to just under 10 as now I have green dust algae and am starting on hairy algae. Bright green stuff is still there. My phosphrate kit will be here Saturday but I do have gfo? in the media chamber. Some in a mesh bag and a mesh bag of chemi pure. My tank is sure going thru the uglies... Going to get more cuc tomorrow.

mr_tap_water

You could try changing one of the whites for another Blue or change the pink for a purple and so on as sometimes small changes can make things happen in a good way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squatch XXL

I started my tank in October and I have the thing. Like yours all my parameters are great. A person at the LFS told me the same thing frisbee posted (probably coralline). Any clue on how long we should wait on coralline to come?
It depends lots. My 40 gallon had green like that show up and did turn to purple coraline. Any rock that gets great water motion at this point starts to bloom in purples.