Brand new to the saltwater hobby

CoachLarry

Hello all. My name is Larry and I live near Annapolis Maryland. I am brand new to the saltwater hobby. I recently converted a 20 hex fresh to saltwater which I plan to use long term as my quarantine tank, and then just purchased a new RSM E-260 over the weekend. I set the new E260 up this weekend and I am sure I will have tons of questions. I am so looking forward to really getting involved in the hobby and learning from all of you. I know the E-260 is fairly new, so I plan to post pics and answer any questions others may have about it. Looking forward to "meeting" you all.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

CoachLarry

Thanks everyone. I really have no idea what I am doing, but I'm hoping I can get plenty of help here. I have been up and running almost a week now. I used about 50 pounds of dry rock and 40 pounds of dry sand and 20 pounds of live sand. I also added a bottle of Bio Spyra. Tank appears to be supper clear. I have no idea how to setup the protein skimmer as this is my first ever saltwater attempt. How how should the water level be, should the airtime be on or off, and if on open or closed. Should I be getting foam with noting in the tank, etc etc etc. Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to get this right. Thanks

Antics

Have you bought a test kit? If you don't have one your LFS probably does free water testing w/ purchase etc. You need to test your water for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates to gauge how the cycle is going. The protien skimmer can be very annoying in traditional sump systems trying to figure out the water level, but the E-260 should be easier because of the markings to let you know the ideal water level in the sump area. The air valve is used during the break in period of the skimmer, which could last a few days or weeks depending on a number of variables related to manufacturing resins and water. You should get nice bubbling in the skimmer regardless of bio load, but you won't be skimming much if anything since you used mostly dry sand and dry rock. You're going to be playing with that Skimmer pretty routinely over the next few years in the hobby. Get use to it! :)

CoachLarry

Yes I have a test kit and plan on doing my first test today in fact. I see no markings for water level anywhere in the rear sump area. I called Red Sea and she told me 3-4 inches above the top shelf on the media rack, so that is where I have been keeping it. I have my gate in the full up position and the air tube is on and appears to be wide open. Foam is in collection cup tube but not over the top. Not even sure what I am aiming for. Appreciate the assistance.IMG_0013.JPG

Antics

Where the foam is in the skimmer is fine now. When you add fish and other waste creating creatures it will start to collect there and overflow into the cup, which is the intended purpose. The aquascape looks great! Enjoy the clarity while you can, once you go through the cycle and have your huge bloom you're going to be looking at these pictures with a grin. :D

CoachLarry

Where the foam is in the skimmer is fine now. When you add fish and other waste creating creatures it will start to collect there and overflow into the cup, which is the intended purpose. The aquascape looks great! Enjoy the clarity while you can, once you go through the cycle and have your huge bloom you're going to be looking at these pictures with a grin. :D

Now you have me scared. :) Starting my test now.

CoachLarry

I'd raise that salinity a bit. Now you just need to be patient on the cycle. :D

I agree, I have a 20 hex that I converted a couple months ago with just and HOB filter and a powerhead with 20 pounds of live sand and 15 pounds of live rock. I have had i clown in it now for a month and it is very stable at 1.024 zero ammonia and nitrites and about 1.0 nitrates. I plan to use that as my quarantine tank.

chipmunkofdoom2

The tank is looking great. The aquascape look awesome as well, lots of room for corals.

Definitely move slowly give yourself plenty of time to learn. There's so much to take in with this hobby that it can be overwhelming at first. You have a great start and I'm looking forward to seeing things progress.

EDIT: Additionally, after you nail down the basic parameters, read up on magnesium, alkalinity and calcium. These are important ones, and once you get the basics down with water changes and keeping temp/salinity stable, these are good ones to know and correct if they're off.

CoachLarry

The tank is looking great. The aquascape look awesome as well, lots of room for corals.

Definitely move slowly give yourself plenty of time to learn. There's so much to take in with this hobby that it can be overwhelming at first. You have a great start and I'm looking forward to seeing things progress.

EDIT: Additionally, after you nail down the basic parameters, read up on magnesium, alkalinity and calcium. These are important ones, and once you get the basics down with water changes and keeping temp/salinity stable, these are good ones to know and correct if they're off.

Patrick thanks for the encouragement. Definitely doing my best to take things slowly. I knew things would take a little longer getting the cycle going with dry rock and sand vs live. Right now the only thing I don't feel comfortable with is how to operate/adjust the skimmer. I don't even know where the optimal level should be, what is my aiming point. How far up the collection cup the foam should be, or how quickly the cup should be filling up. Seems like it is all or nothing right now, and it changes constantly as the water level in the rear sump changes.