Bluethroat Trigger hiding away

Steve Lane

My Bluethroat for the past few days has been in hiding, not feeding or anything, just wedged behind the rocks.
No idea why, he`s been in for about 2 months with no problems at all. Nothing in there that I would call a bully, only fish around the same size is the Bi-colour angel.
The trigger is a big softie though, scared of his own shadow.

DaveK

Some fish just seem to be timid. I had a yellow tang like that. Biggest fish in the tank by far, but would quickly hide. I named it "chicken of the sea".

Still keep an eye on your fish. The hiding and not eating may indicate a problem.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Plus one to Dave. Also, I do this, test the tank, make sure it's ok then I stay away for 2 or so days. The hope here is to reduce the stress

Steve Lane

He`s been coming out slowly every day for the past week. Looks absolutely fine and obviously been eating as he shows now weight loss at all.
All I can think of is, (after I ruled out him shedding his skin :p) he could have been tagged by my BTA and has been recuperating on his own. Anyway he looks pretty much back to normal now, up and feeding out of my fingers as usual.
:cheers:

He has lost the colour in his tail though which is kind of strange.

Last edited:

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
I had a bluethroat in my 215G that did the same thing. Something spooked him, and they hid for about a week, then takes them forever to readjust.

The color is being modified likely based on the diet you are feeding him. Try giving him more of an assortment, and food that they would otherwise find in the ocean, such as silver-sides, krill, clams, etc. Avoid brine shrimp with him.

Jeff

Steve Lane

Yes, just got him on Lance-fish for a change, not tried clam, he does like krill and mussel but that`s a good call sir!