Blue's 180 Mixed Reef

Blue Space

Huge haul from MACNA this year in Milwaukee! Got a great deal on ecotech lighting for the new tank and a milwaukee digital refractometer. The basement construction is almost complete. Anyhow, as of last week the floors are in and we're ready for the tank to ship. I'll be reaching out to them to coordinate that soon. Thanks to all the vendors! It was great to see some familiar faces and meet some new friends as well.

RadionXR30Pro.jpg

milwaukee.jpg

20220904_173527.jpg

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Outstanding!!! Remind me again of what you’re doing for rock? If I did mine over again I’d get the tank running with water, get KP aquatics rock, shipped in water right to the airport, drop it in tank and add CUC, let it fallow for 76 days to burn out any disease and pick out the hitchhikers during this time period. The life you’ll keep doing that is wild.

Blue Space

Good question. Right now I'm leaning towards a manufactured reefscape that will allow for optimal flow. Also, seriously considering a bare-bottom for this tank. I ordered the star mat with the tank just in case. Though, this will eliminate some wrasses I can keep so still weighing the options. That rock looks great too but not sure I can wait over 70 days to stock... :)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Ha I hear you and 70 days is a long time, I’m playing Monday morning QB here!! I love sand wrasses too much to not have sand.

Blue Space

I just received a call from GlasssCages.com who notified me that the new tank is all set to ship out!

It should arrive sometime, early next week. It's time to engage some professionals because too many of my friends and neighbors are either on injured reserve or are now in the senior citizen category. Plus, I don't want any of them getting hurt trying to haul this tank and stand downstairs. :)

Reactions: SPR

Blue Space

Received a notification from the FedEx terminal that says the new tank should arrive tomorrow! I'll need to go pick it up myself. They'll load it in the back of my truck. I'm going to curse every bump in the road on the way home and will be on pins and needles until it's safely in its place... lol!!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
That’s great news!!! I rented a uhaul van when I got mine, just worked out easier with the space unless you have an 8’ truck bed. Packaging is usually pretty bulky

Blue Space

The eagle has landed!

Right now the new tank is still sitting in the back of my truck, parked safely in the garage. In case you're wondering I drove home at 5 MPH under the speed limit cringing at the sight of every pothole. As far as I can tell in this light everything is still okay with the tank and it looks absolutely fabulous!

Woohoo! External overflowz!!!

I'll post some pics tomorrow after it's in place. ;)

Blue Space

After weeks of consultation, planning, and design, Glasscages.com pulled it off! The stand fit perfectly into place and so did the the aquarium!

The movers showed up this morning and after some head scratching and deliberation they were able to get the aquarium in place with the required pad. That was really the hard part was getting the pad on correctly underneath the heavy beast. And so it begins! I'm going to a need ladder to work on this tank, no doubt.

Pics as promised...

20220928_021941.jpg
20220928_021852.jpg
20220928_022057.jpg

20220928_023621.jpg

20220928_033153.jpg

20220928_082801.jpg
20220928_093719.jpg

20220928_093708.jpg
20220928_091111.jpg

Last edited:

Blue Space

Washed the entire aquarium inside & out with vinegar and installed the bulkheads. Next I'll be putting up the lighting.

I'm looking for a sump and have a few in mind. However, I'm restricted by the width of the stand to a mere 16 inches. I really like the Synergy Reef SK-44 but it's 2 inches, too wide. I've reached out to them to see if they can build me one that has only one Clarisea and 16 inches wide. Interested to see what they say...

1664675718710.png

20221001_194718.jpg

20221001_195006.jpg

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
That looks very slick! Have you done a leak test?

As for the sump, check out advanced acrylics, he does custom stuff - did mine- if you’re looking for something specific. John is his name.

how long till you get it up and running? Sump could take some lead time.

Blue Space

Thanks man! No leak test yet. I'll wait until I get the sump and plumbing in place and then start to fill the system and perform a leak test.

Not sure what I'm doing for a sump yet and quite discouraged at the moment because it does look like there's going to be some delays in this department, so not sure how long it will take to get up and running. Custom sumps cost an arm and a leg from what I'm seeing out there so far. These sumps must be made of transparent gold, looking at the prices! As of now I've not found anything that works for under fourteen hundred bucks. I'll reach out to Advanced Acrylic to see if what they can offer.

I did pick up a couple of 75 gallon vertical water storage tanks though. I intend to use one as an ATO reservoir and the other to mix and hold saltwater for auto-water changes.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
A good sump is really nice. Just having it flow the right way and space to add the necessary things is wonderful. I’m very happy with the one I got from AA.

keep in mind that you can do a lot to cycle the tank without the sump/overflow working until it arrives if that’s an option for you. I really like setting up new tanks, on someone else’s dime of course :)

Blue Space

yes, living vicariously is always a much cheaper option... plus, if something were to go horribly wrong it's relatively easy to divest. :D

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hey Chris, any update here? I was thinking of your build the other day, especially the lighting. Are you considering any T5? If so, cool, if not - I was thinking a strip or two of those XHO lights would be amazing additions

Blue Space

I haven't been doing much with the new tank over the holidays. Still saving up for the sump at this point. I probably won't do much more for lighting since whenever I've had a guest over and turn on the Radion XR30 PROs they complain that they're much to bright, lol. Of course that's when I show them the Mobius app and how easy it is to decrease the intensity. :)