Blue's 180 Mixed Reef

Blue Space

Hello fellow reefers!

I've been eluding to the planning of a 180 gallon (in-wall) tank, complete with a fish room for a couple years now on my other threads. This has been part of a basement finishing project that was already in progress. It's going to be a slow process but I'll do my best to cover it from start to finish.

So far, we have the basement and fish room framed in and all electrical and plumbing rough-in is completed. I've also installed a whole-home generator with an auto-transfer switch due to the fact that all losses I've experienced have been related to power losses that occurred while I was away from home. Also, for the first time I will have a dedicated utility sink in the fish room instead of heading to the kitchen sink to clean pumps, make two-part solutions and so on. Although I'm in agreement regarding the need for a sink, I'm also told that it's not optional... So, looking forward to keeping all maintenance activities in the fish room. :)

This week we cut the concrete and laid down some 2" PVC for the sink's drain. After the inspection was approved we then mixed the concrete in 5 gallon buckets and poured it in to cover the hole.

Next steps are to install the insulation and drywall so I'll provide another update soon as possible.

FR_Drain_Install.jpeg

FR_Drain_Cement2.jpg

FR_Sink_Drain_Cement.jpg

fishroom_Sink.jpg

FR_Front.jpg

Last edited:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
No that’s what I’m talking about!!! I did the same thing, designed in the tank during the basement build. Have the sink is awesome. My biggest issue is we have septic, no drains!!!

Blue Space

Now that’s what I’m talking about!!! I did the same thing, designed in the tank during the basement build. Having the sink is awesome. My biggest issue is we have septic, no drains!!!
Hmmm... I guess if you're on a septic system it may not be a good idea to drain your WC's into your septic tank due to the enzymatic processes taking place. If it were me in that situation I think I'd be forced to run a designated WC drain outside, well away from the house's foundation. The ability to do that might be hindered if you live in a housing development instead of a property with acreage. What did you do ultimately?

Last edited:

Blue Space

Hey, it's good to hear from you, Josh! How's your tank doing?

I'm currently working with contractors to complete the mechanical inspection (HVAC) including adding some additional vents for supply and cold air returns to keep the basement nice and warm. We also ran insulated duct to the outside of the house for ventilation fan in the bathroom and fish room.

Trying to do everything I possibly can myself but some things I can't pass the inspection unless I hire a contractor who'll sign off on it. Boy, I tell you... some racket they've got going to ensure both the city and certified contractors all get a cut. :D

StirCrayzy

Good to be back around, need to play a little catch up for a week or two. A thread on another hobby forum reminded me to check back in here.
The past couple years have put more focus on sustainability for the family, (ie. Guns an Gear) so i havent put a lot of effort into my tank, but its still ugly, healthy, and chuggin along. Within the past 6 months, my 6yo has gotten really interested in the tank, so ive been getting a bit more motivation to start putzin on it again.
cheers to the new build.

Blue Space

Yeah, past couple years have been quite the spectacle...

Glad to hear your child has been bitten by the reef bug! Good dad! Start them on a reef addiction from an early age, ha ha! ROFL :roflmao:

Blue Space

HVAC is done!

Next is fire blocking. Essentially, blocking off 10 foot sections of the walls with a mixture of expanding foam & mineral wool insulation. It's supposed to trap gasses and prevent them from escaping between the foundation and the wall and then into the ceiling area. Idea is to give you more time to evacuate...

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Oh I know fire blocking. I finished the basement in my house and I had to FB the whole thing. Woof!

Blue Space

Passed the framing initial inspection! Next step is to put in insulation. Sounds like another trip to the hardware store is in order... The Drywall was delivered today. The Drywall contractor is scheduled for next week because I hate sanding joint compound. :)

Blue Space

Carrying it's not much fun either. It took the contractor nearly a full day to get it downstairs. The wife felt sorry for him so she chipped in to speed up the process of getting it all down the stairwell into the basement. He'll be back next week some time to put it up. We've got to install the insulation first.

20220129_134832.jpg

20220129_150139.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SPR

Blue Space

Bam!

Starting to get some momentum here. No, there's no water in the tank yet. Matter of fact there's no tank, which is something I'll need to remedy. I've been looking around at reef ready, low iron. rimless, glass tanks with an external overflow. Are there any tank manufacturers that will build the tank, deliver, and assist with putting it in place when delivered? Not looking for the whole "Tanked" add everything in a day, per say, but just need the tank in place. Suggestions welcome!

1644098719205.png

Last edited:

Blue Space

Moving right along but I still have not decided on a tank and stand yet.

Criteria:
*180 gal
*Low iron glass front panel
*rear external overflow

Suggestions?