Blue spotted puffer

Pat24601

I don't know that many in this forum have experience with this because it's not reef safe, but I'm thinking of getting a blue spotted puffer.

I read great things about their personalities and it is the number 1 favorite of someone at my LFS.

However, my concern is that I read repeatedly that basically they much on your clean up crew since that is their natural diet. I hear keeping them well fed helps, but it doesn't really stop it.

Anyone have any idea what that means in practice? Does it mean refreshing your clean up more often? Does it mean you have to just do without a clean up crew? Something else?

Any other problems with puffers I should be aware of?

I have a couple months probably before I'm adding fish. Just researching right now.

DaveK

Very simply it means that you need to make a choice between a clean up crew or the puffer. This is not unusual with most predatory fish. You'd have a similar issue with triggers or parrot fish.

In many cases this also means you can't keep live corals with them.

Pat24601

Very simply it means that you need to make a choice between a clean up crew or the puffer. This is not unusual with most predatory fish. You'd have a similar issue with triggers or parrot fish.

In many cases this also means you can't keep live corals with them.

That's crystal clear. Thanks!

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
I had one in a Biocube 8 once. It was set up as a single species tank. Those guys have pretty good personality (only topped by a porcupine puffer). Lots of fun to watch eat because they inhale their food so violently, it makes watching piranhas seem boring.

-Jeff

Pat24601

I had one in a Biocube 8 once. It was set up as a single species tank. Those guys have pretty good personality (only topped by a porcupine puffer). Lots of fun to watch eat because they inhale their food so violently, it makes watching piranhas seem boring.

-Jeff

Ha! Awesome feedback. Thanks!