Blenny/Goby ID?

gpdno

Any thoughts on an ID for this little guy?

Thanks,
Greg

aqu8esu3.jpg

ygyju5yj.jpg

amytyjyv.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DSP

I don't think it's a starry it has a flat head and no stars, I'm not sure what kind it is lol, Where did ya get it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
His head does look like of wide & flat... which is not like a starry... see what others think :)

If he was a HH - there a lot of blennies

Blennioidei; its members are referred to as blennioids. There are approximately 833 species i

DSP

His head does look like of wide & flat... which is not like a starry... see what others think :)

If he was a HH - there a lot of blennies

Blennioidei; its members are referred to as blennioids. There are approximately 833 species i

Good info! Didn't know there was that many wow!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

gpdno

He came from the Gulf Coast of Florida. Found him at my boat dock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oxylebius

Hi there, looks like you have a fish from one of two families (Scorpaenidae or Cottidae, possibly a Scorpaenichthys) based on the body type, large head that tapers to a skinny tail, broad flat head, large eyes, sirri, and large operculum.

It is hard to see the operculum on that fish, is it large and comes to a point? This will help with ID.
Another thing to look for is the placement of the pectoral fins, to help with ID.

Possibly a juvenile of a game fish.

I'm heading out, otherwise I'd spend time searching for you. I will check back later, but maybe this will help you get started on your own search.

Last edited:

Oxylebius

This isn't the type of fish you will regularly find for sale. If your lucky you have a type of sculpin (Cottidae family), but you may have a stonefish/scorpion fish (Scorpaenidae family). Please be careful handling that fish as precaution, don't let the spines penetrate your skin.

Can you tell me how many spines it has on the large cover over its gills (operculum)?

Are you able to count how many dorsal spines it has. This fish will have both dorsal spines and rays. You should be able to tell the difference, the spines are sharp and pointy and will start at the head. The rays will follow the spines towards the tail.

Oxylebius

Okay, I 99% sure its from the Batrachoididae family (toadfishes)

Description:
Small to medium-sized fishes (to 57 cm).
You can see the head broad and flattened, and it has barbels and/or fleshy flaps off the bottom of the head and above the eyes; eyes on top of head, dorsally-directed; mouth wide. Gill openings restricted to sides, just in front of pectoral fin base.

You can see the two dorsal fins in your photos, the first consisting of 2 or 3 strong, sharp spines; the second consisting of a large number of soft rays; pelvic fins jugular, inserted well in advance of pectoral fins, with 1 spine and 2 or 3 soft rays. One to several lateral lines on head and body. Body naked or covered with small, cycloid scales. Color: mostly drab brown with spots or saddles of black, although at least one coral reef species, Sanopus splendidus, is brightly coloured.

They are bottom dwellers feeding on invertebrates and fishes. They are rather sluggish in their movements and are ambush predators, feeding mainly on molluscs and crustaceans. They may bite when handled.

There is a subfamily that is venomous, so again handle with care and don't get spiked by a spine.

Oxylebius

From a search to see which ones are found in the Gulf of Mexico - you have three choices.

Opsanus beta (Gulf toadfish)
Opsanus pardus (Leopard toadfish)
Opsanus dichrostomus (Bicolor toadfish)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
the toadfish does look a lot like him... from the link above

Opsanus_beta_3_BLChristie_JUL2011.JPG

Ever wonder how many kinds of fish are in the oceans? I read this...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/10/031024064333.htm

Over 15,300 species of marine fish are now included in the Census database with another 2,000 ¡V 3,000 expected by the time of the final Census report in 2010. CoML experts expect the final count of marine fish species to total roughly 20,000.