Bit worried about my readings.

W Churchill

My tank (400 L) is only about 6 months old and so far amongst other goodish readings my nitrite has been somewhere between 0 and 0.02 ppm and my phosphate has been 0, today my nitrite is 0.05 ppm and my phosphate is almost 0.1 ppm.

I'm sort of thinking my nitrite might be because I've just added 15 shrimp on Friday, I added 10 a few days before that but they died (stocking shipment - nearly dead on arrival) and only had 5 small fish before hand, but am mentioning it in case it's relevant to my phosphate level.

I've now changed my phosphate remover and assume (hope) it will start to go down, but my phosphate remover dosage has always kept it at zero before, so I'm not sure why I have a problem now.

The only thing I can think of and I might be thinking nonsense (but I'd rather look silly, than damage my stock) is that I'd just cleaned my tank. My tank hasn't quite got through the algae bloom stage and I'd been cleaning it once a week but left it about 18 days this time (except front glass).

So my question is can a good clean especially when there is a bit more algae than usual release phosphate or do I need to look for another cause.

jpsika08

It's possible that some phosphate stock on the rock, sand or even on the glass might have been released.
Other will chime in and give better advice, good luck :)

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
where to start lol? micro management is fly hunting with a shotgun, what do you test P04 with? if its not a meter (that is working) or a laboratory grade kit your readings are pixie dust, not to mention they only read a specific type of phosphate and there is more than 1 in your tank, so? be happy don't worry.
Its a new tank, it won't really stabilize for a year at least, its going to jump around for some time, a new tank is a crap shoot, many unknown sources of fuel so don't expect a garden until the weeds are wacked

W Churchill

It's a Salifert kit, I do take readings with a certain amount of scepticism, but expected them to provide an indication of levels at least, maybe I shouldn't, I always take a double dose test (twice as sensitive) and any unusual readings I do another test.

Anyhow the reading is zero again, so it's less of a panic and more of an interest in whether it was anything to do with the cleaning, guess I'll repeat the test immediately after I clean next time.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Winston - in my RSM (AIO) tanks I have seen similar after cleaning my equipment area - anecdotal evidence - if that is worth anything

I do... and recommend to other RSM owners to change out their chemical filtration right after wc & the major cleaning.

Cheers

W Churchill

I took a reading before cleaning this week (0), then after (0.03) then 12 hours after (0), there was significantly less algae when i cleaned this week.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I took a reading before cleaning this week (0), then after (0.03) then 12 hours after (0), there was significantly less algae when i cleaned this week.

someone on here many moons ago used to say "clean the glass, feed the clams" I think you managed to capture some evidence by chance

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
W Churchill said:

Is ur first name Winston?

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.