biocube up and running...

sh8wn9

I posted a few threads earlier detailing what I decided to do with the biocube...heres an update. I purchased 25g of natural live sea water from petco instead of mixing my own saltwater. Was that a good idea???? It comes with many essential elements already mixed in.
Anyways, I bought a 100watt heater, added the premixed water, turned on the filter, and let her rip. I also bought a powerhead which I will install later to increase the water flow. Im also going to purchase a skimmer. If I do where should that be placed...in chamber 1???? I also heard of people taking out half the bioballs and substituting them with live rock...is that a good idea????
I also have many test kits for everything and I will check the salinity and all that stuff after 24 hours....is that a good idea??? Once I check the levels of everything and they all are where they are supposed to be...it is time to add live rock and live sand, correct????

Help me, any advice would be so great! Thanks!!!

yungreefer2410

you can add liverock and livesand when you get salt and temperature under control. i don't know about that petco water i saw it to. i would just mix your own ro water for now own. top-off with freshwater. take out all bio-balls and liverock rubble will do the same thing. i would convert the 2nd chamber to a fuge and use the third for a skimmer. i would also replace the return pump that came with it. add liverock (lr) first then add live sand (ls).

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ditto on Bio-balls being GONE now (you'll have to WEEN your system from them shortly if you cycle WITH them) and no Live Rock Rubble to replace them. The live rock in your tank along with the live sand will handle your bio-logical filtration needs.

sh8wn9

Thanks for the advice. Ive been keeping the system running for about 4 hours now...water is kinda cloudy still. Im guessing it will clear up eventually.
Tomorrow I will start to check the water chemistry. Water is only at 69 degrees so far, so Im wondering if I need another heater??? I have a 100 watt heater as of right now.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Give it time. I wouldn't "fuss" over anything for a few days. This will test and TEACH you patience.

sh8wn9

Yes, patience is a virtue...right now the lights are off, so should I turn them on when I add some live rock and live sand, or should I just start the light cycle now??? Also, do I need to turn the lights on in order for the water temperature to reach optimal temp???
One more question: I have a powerhead I bought for some increase in water circulation...not too sure of this, but it goes into a cone on the bottom I guess where it sucks up the water...should that part be set into the sand or should the whole unit avoid the sand???

I sent along a pic of the powerhead, hope that helps.
Thanks again for the great advice!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1887.JPG
    IMG_1887.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 23

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here is how I have my heaters set up. I have the actual temp on the heater set to where I want the tank to stay. This way with the lights off the heater will heat IF needed.

As for starting the light cycle now it's up to you but not needed right now.

sh8wn9

Thanks for the advice!!!!
One more question...the tank has been running overnite and the temp is about 78, but the specific gravity is 1.030 which is way too high!!!
Should I take out 25%of the water and replace it with freshwater???? I do not have access to an ro filter, so I was thinking of using filtered water...would this be ok???