BioCube Newbie

Crawdaddy

Day 1 - 02.14.17

Got a BioCube 29 for my birthday. Been talking salt for 10 years - time to get started!
Looks like I need a stand and a place to put it - probably at work, in my office.
Where can I buy the best reef sand? Where can I buy the best (dead) live rock?
I've been told to start from scratch with "clean" rock (no bio matter) - true?
Does it matter?

Also, been told to be patient - that won't be easy.

DaveK

Before you jump into this, do some planning and figure out what your trying to keep in the system. I've posted this many times before, but it's the best advice I can give to someone new.

DaveK's Standard Lecture #1 – Advice for people new to the hobby

The very first thing you want to do, before you spend any money on equipment or livestock, is get yourself a few good books on state of the art reef systems. Then read and study them, so you have some idea about what your are doing.

Here are two to start with -

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paleta <---This book has an especially good section on fish suited to someone starting off in the hobby.

A note on the books. You can often find used copies at much lower prices at places like Amazon. In most cases these are going to be as good as new copies, especially when your first learning.

This is information that you can not easily obtain from the net. While it's out there, it's all over the place, and there is a massive volume of information. There is also a lot of bad information out there.

Once you get that done, plan or rethink your system. What do you want to keep? Do you have the necessary equipment? Do you have the knowledge to keep the livestock you want? Do you have the time to dedicate to keeping a system and it's livestock?

Many salt water fish, corals and inverts often have very specific requirements. Some are extremely difficult to keep alive, even if you do everything right. Before you get anything, research it, and be sure it will work out in your system.

Lastly, you will find that most LFS people are clueless when it comes to SW systems. Verify their advice, until they prove otherwise.

Now to your specific questions...

I would not recommend putting the tank in your office at work, unless you own the company and the building. Managements can be very fussy about things like aquariums, and decide that it's a "hazard" because it might leak or cause a fire because of "all that electrical gear".

"Best" is a relative term in aquarium projects. What I would consider "best" someone else might consider terrible. A lot of this comes down to what you want out of the system. There are advantages and disadvantages to almost every choice.

When it comes to rock and sand, you really can't go too far wrong. For sand use aragonite sand and avoiding the extremely fine "sugar sand" and the really course sands. It need not be sand with bacteria, since once the tank gets going, it will have all the bacteria you need.

For rock, you can go with any combination of live rock and dry rock. Dry rock costs less, but the tank will take longer to mature. Again, you can't go too far wrong here. I would tend to use about 90% dry rock and 10% good live rock with a lot of things living on it, but I wouldn't call any other choices wrong.

When you say "talking salt for 10 years" hopefully that means reading and learning. If so, then you are off to a great start.
The number 1 rule in this hobby is to go slow. Think twice or three times then research and think some more.
I agree with all of what Dave says above though I like to start with more live rock than base. With the live rock you start off with more "life" in your system. This can be good and bad because you are always going to have hitchhikers. Then again they are one of my favorite things in the hobby. I have had things show up out of my live rock several years after it has been in the system.

Crawdaddy

Before you jump into this, do some planning and figure out what your trying to keep in the system. I've posted this many times before, but it's the best advice I can give to someone new.

DaveK's Standard Lecture #1 – Advice for people new to the hobby

The very first thing you want to do, before you spend any money on equipment or livestock, is get yourself a few good books on state of the art reef systems. Then read and study them, so you have some idea about what your are doing.

Here are two to start with -

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paleta <---This book has an especially good section on fish suited to someone starting off in the hobby.

A note on the books. You can often find used copies at much lower prices at places like Amazon. In most cases these are going to be as good as new copies, especially when your first learning.

This is information that you can not easily obtain from the net. While it's out there, it's all over the place, and there is a massive volume of information. There is also a lot of bad information out there.

Once you get that done, plan or rethink your system. What do you want to keep? Do you have the necessary equipment? Do you have the knowledge to keep the livestock you want? Do you have the time to dedicate to keeping a system and it's livestock?

Many salt water fish, corals and inverts often have very specific requirements. Some are extremely difficult to keep alive, even if you do everything right. Before you get anything, research it, and be sure it will work out in your system.

Lastly, you will find that most LFS people are clueless when it comes to SW systems. Verify their advice, until they prove otherwise.

Now to your specific questions...

I would not recommend putting the tank in your office at work, unless you own the company and the building. Managements can be very fussy about things like aquariums, and decide that it's a "hazard" because it might leak or cause a fire because of "all that electrical gear".

"Best" is a relative term in aquarium projects. What I would consider "best" someone else might consider terrible. A lot of this comes down to what you want out of the system. There are advantages and disadvantages to almost every choice.

When it comes to rock and sand, you really can't go too far wrong. For sand use aragonite sand and avoiding the extremely fine "sugar sand" and the really course sands. It need not be sand with bacteria, since once the tank gets going, it will have all the bacteria you need.

For rock, you can go with any combination of live rock and dry rock. Dry rock costs less, but the tank will take longer to mature. Again, you can't go too far wrong here. I would tend to use about 90% dry rock and 10% good live rock with a lot of things living on it, but I wouldn't call any other choices wrong.

Thank you. Great advice.

I'm the President of the company and not too fussy. My fresh water tank has sat behind me for five years - spills and all. I like the white noise, too. So, I'm good to go there.

I'll take your advise for sand and rocks.

Okay, so for my BioCube 29... how many pounds? or should I be asking, how many inches deep?

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

When you say "talking salt for 10 years" hopefully that means reading and learning. If so, then you are off to a great start.
The number 1 rule in this hobby is to go slow. Think twice or three times then research and think some more.
I agree with all of what Dave says above though I like to start with more live rock than base. With the live rock you start off with more "life" in your system. This can be good and bad because you are always going to have hitchhikers. Then again they are one of my favorite things in the hobby. I have had things show up out of my live rock several years after it has been in the system.
Thanks for the help.

Almost every Saturday for the past ten years I have assulted the local salt water shop with every possible question. I've watched them set two 175 gallon tanks and a coral farm. And yes...
they also say, slow and steady. It will be a test of my will. : )=

Crawdaddy

Either way the water will stir the sand and you are going to have a couple of days of sand filled water. I usually do sand first. You do want to do rock before sand though. The rock should rest on the bottom of the tank so any diggers you may get can't knock it over.
The general rule is one pound of rock per gallon of water so about 30 lbs of rock. The sand is up to you. I have seen everything from bare bottom (I don't like the look but it is easier to remove detritus.) to a 6 inch deep sand bed. It is really personal preference.

Crawdaddy

Either way the water will stir the sand and you are going to have a couple of days of sand filled water. I usually do sand first. You do want to do rock before sand though. The rock should rest on the bottom of the tank so any diggers you may get can't knock it over.
The general rule is one pound of rock per gallon of water so about 30 lbs of rock. The sand is up to you. I have seen everything from bare bottom (I don't like the look but it is easier to remove detritus.) to a 6 inch deep sand bed. It is really personal preference.
Thanks! Good stuff.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

LJC6780

Following along ... I started my BC29 back in the middle of December. My first salt tank also! I've done lots of reading and "shopping" and list making ... it seems I'm constantly looking up a new fish or coral to see if it's compatible with my tank and my skill level/time and attention. I've definitely had some ups and downs and made some mistakes along the way by rushing this or that. I'll definitely agree with slow and steady!

Good luck! Can't wait to see what you come up with. Here is my tank as of this evening.
bf0d74a804f310963e9d5f7f2a60f3b5.jpg

I just added a few new corals and they hadn't opened up yet when I took the pic. I just have the one damsel, snails and a couple hermits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trio91

I have a red sea bio cube pretty similar to what you have, I don't have a recent daylight picture but for the most part things haven't changed much
dbc3bc5e9473ff14f51c8e1b1aeb7bfa.jpg

I went dry rock cuz I wanted to cement my structure together. I also didn't want anything hitchhiking. I also used dry sand.

It's been running for about a year, here is the most recent pic with the moon lights on
91af2509d1e21d076607fbc4cef115fa.jpg

Slow n steady wins the race

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited: