Biocube 32 LED Upgrade Systems

Discussion in 'Steve's LEDs' started by StevesLEDs, Oct 24, 2016.

1. StevesLEDs

StevesLEDs RS Sponsor

After several months of experimentation, we were disappointed with the new Biocube 32 LED stock lights. They promised that their lights could grow corals, but as turns out, only very few species of coral actually grow well under their stock lights, and nuisance algae is big problem as well.

Steve's LEDs has released an LED retrofit for this aquarium, which is more than 5 times brighter than the stock lights, capable of maintaining our industry-first limited guarantee that our lights will grow every species of photosynthetic coral, clam and anemone from every ocean. The best part is that the hood remains looking 100% stock from the outside, no cutting or hacking required. It takes only about 15 minutes to install and gives you the capability to get everything to thrive in your aquarium.

We have integrated our full spectrum adjustable top of the line German made Luxeon LEDs in proven color combinations to provide coral growth rates up to 4X faster than in the natural ocean. You have the the ability to tune the exact shade of blue/white you want in your aquarium with a twist of a knob, ensuring the perfect color!

Includes our new HurricaneX ultra high resolution 16 independent channel controller, capable of simulating sunrise, sunset, moonlighting, storms, clouds and lighting.

As with all of our products, they are built from the ground up right here in Louisiana, USA. This system carries a 3 year warranty on the drivers and power supplies (the components most likely to fail). LEDs are rated at 50,000 hours - no more bulb changes EVER!

http://www.StevesLEDs.com/Biocube-32-LED-System-Fully-Loaded_p_332.html

It is very competitively priced, with most of your money going towards the highest quality components on the market. Please send me a message if you have any questions. Techsupport@StevesLEDs.com

Thanks guys and gals!
    Jeff

Attached Files:

2. nanoreefing4fun

nanoreefing4fun Well-Known Member
    RS STAFF

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    Nice !

[​IMG]

Pat24601 and StevesLEDs like this.
  3. santeezi03

santeezi03 New Member

So with ordering just the LED's, the adjustment knob comes with them? Is there a video to show them running? And do they work with the built in timer? Here's my Biocube 32:

I have since added more coral, and I'm not happy with the performance of the lights. I want a brighter blue/white setup.

4. StevesLEDs

StevesLEDs RS Sponsor

The LED upgrade system from Steve's has everything you are hoping for. It has an automatic digital controller (HurricaneX) that simulates a silky smooth natural sunrise and sunset, among other features such as optional water temp probe, storms, clouds, lighting, etc.

That digital controller makes the stock timer outdated and unnecessary.

This LED system is substantially brighter than the stock LEDs, and you will have absolutely no limits on what you can grow either. All SPS, LPS, softies, clams, scallops, anemones and more grow faster under these LEDs than the natural sunlight- and that's with the LEDs dimmed to around 70%.

Oddly we don't have out test aquarium running still, and I can't seem to find the videos we took a while back. Fortunately this uses similar electronics and LEDs to the Biocube 29 system, which has proven itself over the past 9 years. So if you want to look on youtube for a video of the Steve's LED Biocube 29 upgrade, then it will look virtually identical.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
    Jeff

Erik Stenberg and santeezi03 like this.
  5. santeezi03

santeezi03 New Member

Okay. So last question. You say we can adjust the blues. I LOVE the Kessil Halo LED light with the depp purples, etc. Does yours create the same effect?

Separately, when blues are on by themselves, they do not promote growth, correct? Its more just for our personal preference.

6. StevesLEDs

StevesLEDs RS Sponsor

Yes of course, you can adjust the blue to white ratio however you see fit. You can even turn the whites off and leave them off. The actinic blue LEDs we use are a super deep royal blue, which looks quite purple - at least as purple as the Kessils. Furthermore, we just got in some new boards that allow us to pack in 4 of our Hyper Violets into the mix, further boosting the purple for those who want it. If you want to try one of these new boards out, just let us know, and I can arrange one for you at no additional cost @santeezi03

When our particular blues are left by themselves, they indeed to promote growth - can't say the same for the Kessils because they use all chinese LED chips so the color consistency has more variation than the German Luxeon ES LEDs. This particular blue spectrum is right at the alpha photosynthetic absorption peak of the chlorophyll, so they use this color more than any other color. Just like those corals that are 100+ feet deep in the ocean, pretty much all they see is blue.

Thanks!
    Jeff

Erik Stenberg likes this.
  7. santeezi03

santeezi03 New Member

I'm super excited about the idea. Not sure yet. Don't have $350 to drop right now. I may actually sell my lid because I'm trying to put a different protein skimmer in, and the lid won't close. I don't even know if there's a market for that. If I keep it, would love some violet in there.

8. Erik Stenberg

Erik Stenberg New Member

So from my understanding this light kit attaches to my lid correct or does this kit come with the lid and everything. Also where does the adjustment knob and controls sit for this setup? Thanks

9. StevesLEDs

StevesLEDs RS Sponsor

You are correct, it attaches neatly within the existing lid. We have simplified the installation process for this, so it takes around 15 minutes or less for the install, and you can revert back to stock hood in about 2 minutes (not that anyone ever has as of yet!).

This doesn't come with any old-school adjustment knob, it comes with a full featured digital controller, that offers advanced features with surprisingly easy to use settings. It even comes 100% pre-programmed out of the box (just set the date and time). This controller comes on a 10' long small-diameter cord. You can set it on top of the aquarium, velcro it to the side or back, set it on the counter next to your aquarium, keep it underneath in the stand - you can pretty much put it wherever you like within a 10' radius of the aquarium!

Thanks!
    Jeff

nanoreefing4fun likes this.
  10. nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    @Erik Stenberg :rbwwelc:to RS start a thread and share your tank with us !

11. Erik Stenberg

Erik Stenberg New Member

Never mind I did my research and just ordered steves led kit, can't wait to install this

StevesLEDs likes this.
  12. Erik Stenberg

Erik Stenberg New Member

StevesLEDs likes this.
  13. Erik Stenberg

Erik Stenberg New Member

Thanks Jeff I just ordered the setup from you guys I can wait to get this installed and have this bio system the way it should've been, thanks

StevesLEDs likes this.
  14. Erik Stenberg

Erik Stenberg New Member

Thanks for the welcome, here's my tank so far.

StevesLEDs and nanoreefing4fun like this.
  15. nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    Nice start ! by the way... I love my Steves leds, watching the sun rise & set is so cool !

16. Erik Stenberg

Erik Stenberg New Member

It's totally worth it for the light upgrade. I don't know much about reef lighting but this came highly recommended. Once installed I will share as no one has posted a working video of this system in action yet for the biocube 32 that I have found, similar systems on the 29 from steves but no 32.

nanoreefing4fun and StevesLEDs like this.
  17. StevesLEDs

StevesLEDs RS Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words Erik, you are going to love your new LED system!

Jeff

18. StevesLEDs

StevesLEDs RS Sponsor

Santeezei03, we actually have cut several customers' hoods with our in house laser cutting robot. We cut just large enough hole in the hood to accomodate the skimmer. We are glad to assist you with this if you are interested, just shoot an email to TechSupport@StevesLEDs.com

-Jeff

19. Erik Stenberg

Erik Stenberg New Member

Installed the Retrokit from Steves Led last night I am very impressed with the quality and the thought put into this system, today my Xenia has fully opened up and looks twice its size since these leds were installed. I would highly recommend Steves leds and will be back for any other tank lighting needs for future tanks.

StevesLEDs likes this.