Biocube 29 Stocking

TAMPATIM

Looking to add something to my Biocube 29. Currently have small Maroon clown and Valentini Puffer, a peppermint shrimp, and assorted CUC. Figure I could add one more fish and maybe another invert. Was thinking yellow clown goby(nice pop of color and lots of perches available for him)

Any suggestions? I do have some corals so reef safe livestock only.... TIA

Uncle99

If you live rock, maybe a mandarin dragonette or royal gramma.
Both great colour and do ok in smaller spaces. Both peaceful, gramma will not be pushed around and the mandarin just don't care provided the tank has a supply of pods.
Only one mandarin allowed in your small space and no wrasses allowed as they will eat all the mandarins food.
Only one Royal gramma, as they 2 will fight for space in a 29g
One of each is quite possible.

TAMPATIM

If you live rock, maybe a mandarin dragonette or royal gramma.
Both great colour and do ok in smaller spaces. Both peaceful, gramma will not be pushed around and the mandarin just don't care provided the tank has a supply of pods.
Only one mandarin allowed in your small space and no wrasses allowed as they will eat all the mandarins food.
Only one Royal gramma, as they 2 will fight for space in a 29g
One of each is quite possible.

I love the idea of a Mandarin but tank has only been running for about 7months. I’m afraid I don’t have a mature pod population. I do have about 25 lbs of LR though. I could possibly dose with pods but not sure that would be enough. I don’t have a fuge.

Do you think 4 fish is ok? I was afraid 3 would be my max so I figured I could only have one more and maybe an invert. I do weekly water changes and feed every other day but I have no skimmer. I run floss/purigen/chemipure elite in a media basket.

Uncle99

I kept a mandarin in a 20g with 1 ten pound 5 month old live Fiji live rock with a black clown, a Royal gramma, and a diamond back goby....and that was 3 years ago....all look quite healthy....so I would say yes, but again, if you go with the mandarin, you cannot stock any other fish which thrive on pods. I understand that mandarins are being breeded and there are some claims you can buy ones which will take frozen brine shrimp but I cannot verify this claim. In addition, I think 4 is quite possible, 5 at max, but Add separately. I think your 25lbs rock should be sufficient at this time if your rock is very porous like Fiji....places for pods to multiply without being eaten