Big increase in Nitrate 0 to 10 in a week

Uncle99

i have a 70g cycled 12 months ago. Been running for 15 now.
At four months I started carbon dosing daily. For the last 8 months nitrate and phosphate was zero.
Since I thought carbon dosing was more for reduction of nitrate and phosphate and mine has been zero for 8 months, I stopped a week ago.

Today nitrate 10 ppm and phosphate remained .12. Every other parameter matches NSW and has not varied since 8 months

While I will assume it's the stopping of NoPox, And I restarted today, is there anyone else that could either confirm my thinking or offer other potential causes?

Uncle99

Started to dose NoPox again...within 12 hours....nitrate back to zero...
So I assume I must carbon dies forever to keep nitrates at zero....
Huh? Does that make sense? In my last rebuild, nitrate remained at zero with no carbon dosing....

DaveK

Yes it does make sense. NoPox and similar products are a nutrient to anaerobic bacteria that feed on nitrates. You take away the nutrient and the bacteria can't process nitrate as effectively. If your going to try to cut out using it, you want to drop it back slow, making sure that your nitrate level stays down.

Uncle99

Thanks DaveK, I see better now, I oringinally used it to bring nitrates and phosphates down in the rebuild but just to cut it off was incorrect. I am going to start to half the dose and watch nitrates....I am actually looking for 2ppm nitrates and .12 phosphate for my corals to feed on.
Thanks again...not so panicked...