Big Al's "Mountain Reef"

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've never seen a tank in a "Pan" but I have seen what "Allen & NaClH2O" do to a wood floor. Sometimes I get "distracted" and things get "moist".

I think I'll go "Hunting" tonight for a pan that might fit. If I don't find one... I'll make one.. somehow LOL!

Dweezil

I see you've come over to the dark side ;) LOL Congratulations on the RSM...it comes with a new set of chalenges but I think you'll really like it. :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Sencha

Does anyone have their tank in some type of "Spill Containment" pan/tub? I'm placing this baby on hardwood floor and I've seen first hand what NaClH2O does to hardwood even with limited exposure. I don't want to do that to my mom's floors (did I just say mom's floor? oiiyyy).

I was thinking about looking to get a washer/water heater pan and sitting the whole unit into that to help contain smaller splashed and spills.

So whatcha think? :dunno:

We have pre-finished ash floor. Our 130 that we have had set up for about 1 1/2 years has never caused any problems to the floor. We have certainly had salt creep, etc. I love that due to the hardwood floor, we can actually move the tank by sliding, quite easily on the floor.

catran

How about a rubber floor mat? The kind that has a second mat/rug for different seasons recessed into it. Take the mat/rug out and the water can collect there. Maybe something at SAMs club more industrial that have the nubbs inside you can slice off with a razor blade. Just throwing options out there.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
silly question but:

What tools are needed to assemble the "totem stand" for this tank? I don't have the instructions etc here with me and I'm going over to the house this evening to start assembling the stand.

What did you need????

tnwillia

If your even thinking of putting a sump, chiller, ato or anything that might need to go between left and right cabinet sides now is the time to drill a couple of 2" holes in the center wall to pass things thru. Have fun!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well last night I finally got some work done on the tank. My life/world has been like a tornado lately to say the least. I got the "Totem Stand" put together (ha a couple of snags but nothing major) and then started putting the "Tank Stuff" together. I have to say this...This is a NEAT system! I love the cord channels and all the little things that make this a very neat and tidy little system.

I'm going through the manual and I'm fighting the dang HOOD every step of the way. It wont stay up (I'm not to the Hood Keepers yet) and it's just a royal PITA. I finally realize I've skipped a step "Remove the hood pins and slide the hood off". WOW! What a difference that makes LOL!

So last night the final step I completed was installing the bulbs and putting the splash shield back on the hood. The rest hopefully tonight. I HOPE my ROCK comes in today so MAYBE I can put water in her tomorrow!!

The tank isn't in it's "Final" place yet because of some furniture moving but maybe tonight I can get it placed and wired up to see how things work. I'm so excited.

Here are a couple of pictures right before I started doing the tank install stuff

RSM_221_2011_SetUp2.jpg

RSM_221_2011_SetUp1.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good to see things moving along! I hope you can get rid of that tornado asap and enjoy some calmer weather soon!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Congrats !

be sure to leave enough room on the right to tilt out, the electrical panel - know you said... "The tank isn't in it's "Final" place"

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks gang!

Glenn where the tank will ultimately go (maybe) there wont be anything directly on either side of the tank. I may not be putting it at my mom's house after all. I should know more later today. We'll see.

On another note. . . John at ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home freaking ROCKS (literally in this situation). I just got a box of ROCKS that are AMAZING! I immediately felt like I was coming down with the "Reef Flu" and almost went home except my VP walked by my office and commented on my new "Box of goodies" for my tank. If I went home now I'd probably be unemployed LOL!

THANK YOU John and ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae :wave:

Anyway here are a couple of quick phone pix

Box-O-Rox
IMG-20110222-00055.jpg

Sample Rock from Box-O-Rox
IMG-20110222-00056.jpg

John these hand picked rock look AMAZING and I can't wait to get home and "Tinker" with them!! The possibilities... OMG the possibilities!! *Must stay at work.... MUST stay at work.... MUST STAY at work.... MUST STAY AT work.... MUST STAY AT WORK"!* Say it with me . . . ..