Betta fish?

shy519

Hey everyone!:bluesbros:

I know that you can put a Betta in a tank with certain types of fish like cherry barbs, for example. I was wondering if I could put one in a tank that has a chocolate gourami and an emerald cory cat.

Thanks!:bluenod:
Shy

DaveK

This almost sounds like a trick question. I wouldn't put a beta in with any barbs, as they are likely to go after the slow moving beta and do some fin nipping.

I don't think you would have a problem with a beta and a chocolate gourami and an emerald cory cat.

shy519

Ok thank you. Even though people say they don't have problems with putting a Betta with certain fish, it still makes me feel really unsure how it'll turn out. I think that every fish is different and should be treated as so. I'll try it, but I have a small tank on stand by just in case!

DaveK

Betas can be a tough fish to mix. They are predatory and will eat much smaller fish, like small neons, but their massive finnage keeps them from running away from fish that will bother them. Having a stand by home for the fish is a good idea.

SnoopNL

Betta's are labyrinth fish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabantoidei
Labyrinth fish can be hard to mix, but just some basics will keep you clear of most problems:
No fish that swim in the top layer of the tank, or if so very docile.
No fish with big beautiful tails or fins, for a betta this can be seen as a competitor.

Not too much waterflow in the tank and if you introduce a mate or plan on doing so : read up on it before you do it. There are tons of guides about the subject.

frisbee

I don't think you'll have a problem mixing a betta with these two fish either.

FWIW, I kept a betta in a 50 gallon tank with a school of cardinal tetras, rummy-nose tetras, and a couple angelfish without any problems before. It stayed away from them, and they stayed away from it.

blazend

Add a fish breeder cage onto your tank. If the beta starts acting up with the others you just move it to the breeder. Then you don't have to have a backup tank in the long run.

DaveK

Add a fish breeder cage onto your tank. If the beta starts acting up with the others you just move it to the breeder. Then you don't have to have a backup tank in the long run.

This really isn't a long term solution. Most people don't really want something like that hanging in their tank, and it makes it hard to see the fish.

Also, the problem is often with other fish going after the beta, and you just can't put something other than Labyrinth fish in the breeder cage because there just isn't enough circulation through it.

As for their stated use for breeding fish, I have never known any serious breeder to use one, especially since a small tank with a sponge filter works a lot better,

Wet Nerd

Hey everyone!:bluesbros:

I know that you can put a Betta in a tank with certain types of fish like cherry barbs, for example. I was wondering if I could put one in a tank that has a chocolate gourami and an emerald cory cat.

Thanks!:bluenod:
Shy
Hello! I have kept a betta in tropical community tank with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL! The thing is, tiger barbs are mean. The betta is likely to die. I may try it and watch, if the barbs start nipping, move the betta ASAP