Best way to proceed

shark32

Hi,
I am in the process of filling up my 125 gallon tank... right now it has about 45 gallons of sraight RO/DI water and 125lbs of sand... It is cloudy from the sand settling... I have a heater in there as well... I plan on using at least 60% the water from 75 gallon, so (I pray:fingerscrossed:) my fish aren't so shocked when they move...
My question is, since I will not be adding all the water to fill up the tank until the actual day I move my fish/crabs/starfish, should I make it saltwater now and put a powerhead in there to move the water around? Or will that only make the sand particles never settle? I thought that if making it saltwater, and leaving a powerhead in there, I could add some of the new LR I will be adding before the actual move day.. or do I have to add it the day of the switch? I am using all of my current rock as well..
As much as I cannot wait to move tanks:clink:, at the same time, it is completely stressful! and I am dreading catching everyone and moving them..
Thanks for any advice!:biggrin:

DaveK

What I would do is make sure the new sand is as clean as possible, you might have to wash it. I am assuming your using dry sand.

The I would fill the tank about 3/4 full with RO/DI water, and add a couple of power heads and a heater. Then mix your salt and let it get stable. Match the SG and temp of you existing tank.

Next, transfer about 1/3 to 1/2 your current live rock. You want rock with out too much live on it, and ideally no corals. Let this cycle a week or two to establish the new tank. Don't forget to refill the old tank with new SW.

At the end of that period, and when your sure the tank has cycled, move the rest of the live rock and the livestock. Also move your filtration system, lighting and so on if that is in your plans.

You should have an almost stress freel move, since the new tank will be somewhat established.

shark32

Thanks DaveK! That sounds like a good plan w/ the water and rock... I am going to siphon the water through a filter sock to help get rid of the remaining cloudiness from the sand ( and yes, it was dry)... my skimmer is new for the new tank and my lighting will be transferred over on the day of the move..
Should I expect a full cycle?