Best Protein Skimmer?

fishcrazy

greetz.gif
to Reef Sanctuary!!!

The best skimmer can only be determined if you tell us if you tell us the following:

Do you have a sump or not?
What type of corals do you intend to keep?

I do not have a sump. I am going to use the magnium 350 canister filter kit that comes with the bio wheel component. I am not 100 percent on the corals yet but I am intending on keeping some that are compatable with my tank size, fish, and lighting. I am really just starting to determine all the details. But I would like all the help you guys can offer. Thanks

billyr98

Welcome to RS!

One big question, before we get into skimmers, can you get a sump instead of the canister filter? In a reef atmosphere, it would be a in great benefit for ya..
But if you can't, you can't.. I have no opinions on hang on skimmers, but I know others will chime in...

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
A canister filter isn't recommended for reef tanks since they will trap detritus which will lead to nitrate problems in time. Using LR, LS, good flow and good skimmer is all you need. Since you don't have a sump you'll be limited AFA skimmers go BUT there are a couple of good one's the AQUA-C Remora is excelent as well as the HOT Aqua-medic Turboflotor but it's bulky, also Deltec makes an excellent HOT skimmer the MCE600.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I have two Aqua C remora Pro skimmers; one on my 90 reef and one on my 30 cube. They work great!

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
i found a link but i dont know if i can paste the link here its not one of our sponsors ,..but its an aqua c remora hang on version. what about this ??.i dont have a skimmer or a sump
(well i have one just not in use)...
would this be a good option..or would it be best to get the sump w/skimmer goin instead??

Craig Manoukian

I love the Aqua Medic Turbofloter Cheeks referred to, the pin wheel really makes fine bubbles, maximum surface area, and skims like crazy. Will be good for a tank larger than the 46 if you decide to upgrade.

Welcome to RS and good luck reefing!

Reorginizing my Setup!!!

I wasent sure how to proceed I was planning on starting out with fish only and live rock then moving into reef. But you guys claim i could run only LR and LS with good powerheads and skimmer without a filter. I guess what you guys are also saying is the i should run a sump if any for my filter. Any recomndations on a sump. Im trying to set up the best possible system for what i want to do in the future which is ultimately a reef tank. Are sumps expensive to set up initially? I thank eveyone for helping me out with my setup. Ive been planning and reading for a while but just need real peoples opinions. Thanks again!!!