Best protein skimmer for the buck

zack879

Looking for a skimmer for my 40 gal tank. My lfs ordered me a red sea one. Want to make sure it's good. It's reg price is 169. Not sure the model. I'm getting it for 150. Anything worth a look in that range? Quiet is a huge plus.

DaveK

Personally, I'm not that big a fan of Red Sea Skimmers, but they are decent. I won't say you can't do better, but it will at least work. Some of the classic skimmers may need some minor mods to get them just right.

As for Ebay and the almost required use of PayPal. I simply will not buy that way. To me this is automatic disqualification. However, others have gone this route, and been happy. I see the big problem being, what do you do when something goes wrong with the sale or product?

zack879

I'm just limited in room behind my tank. I've only got about 4 inches of space until the wall. Red sea makes a few that will fit. Anything will b better than what I have now which is nothing. I'm in the diatom phase of my cycle so I assume I'm nearing the end I hope. What's the benefit of a skimmer anyway?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Not to get totally off-topic but eBay has great "Buyer Protection" and then PayPal has even better. I've sold many things and bought MANY MANY things on ebay. In all of my transactions I've had 1 claim where something I bought wasn't shipped. It took about 60 days total but all of my funds were placed back into my bank account and the offender was shut down on ebay and cancelled with PayPal.

TylerHaworth

Being afraid of eBay because of Paypal is the equivalent of being afraid to shop at Sears online with a credit card.

That being said... At the price point you are looking at around $150 you can get a Tunze 9002 for about $160. I haven't personally owned one (loved my Tunze 9410 skimmer though) but they seems to be extremely popular in the nano/small tank crowd.