Best plants for 30", 17W fluorescent light?

thechristophers

I'm new to all this. My tank is a 29-gallon, 19" tall, 30" long, 13" wide, if that matters. Water temperature will be in the mid-70s. A 28" fluorescent light comes in the hood. It's 17 watts. Given the wattage and the depth of the tank, what (preferably cheap) plants are suitable for such lighting conditions? Or does it not matter? (And if this is relevant, I'll be putting neon tetras and some boesemani and turquoise rainbows in there). Thanks, guys!

SubRosa

That's very low light. Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss and maybe some Crypts would be about it.

thechristophers

Thanks. Yeah, I would like it to be brighter, actually. Brighter light would make the fish look more brightly colored, right? Should I get a brighter bulb? My hood only holds one bulb, and I don't want to spend money on a bigger hood, especially since bulbs seem to be so cheap. But I just noticed something: lumens. The wattage is the amount of energy it uses, but lumens are actually the light output, right? So what's a good output (lumen) level to have?

Doogle

Ditch the light for a dual T5HO fixture like the 30" 2x24w fishneedit t5HO fixture, I'd get a pink bulb & 6500k or 10,000k bulb with it.
I would say get better quality but freshwater plants dont need much & I own the 30" 4x24w fishneedit and good bulbs- just fine for corals.

+1 to plants, but they won't grow until you buy better lighting.

thechristophers

Doogle, is the 30" 2x24w fishneedit t5HO fixture a whole new hood? I don't want to go that route; I bought the aquarium tank I bought because it came with the hood and filter and all that and I didn't want to pay for it all separately. So I need one-light option. Also, why a pink bulb? I like white light better. Does pink mean it giv

Doogle

Dude, sorry you bought a crap hood & t-8 light combo. Go open top (all planted tanks are) & buy a t5HO fixture.
My 30" 4x24 looks like this. A long time ago.lol
9492D5E4.jpg

Pink bulb will be good for plant growth & make your fish colors look a lot better, I'd do a 6500 & pink bulb.

Doogle

Here's my 41g planted tank when it. Just had a 2x24w t5HO FIXTURE with a 6500k (life GLO) & pink bulb (power GLO)
F0742180-orig.jpg

SubRosa

It's not very difficult to diy a T5HO ballast and end caps into the T8 fixture if you're handy. A single T5 HO tube of equal length is a SERIOUS upgrade in light output over a T8, and will greatly increase the variety of plants you could keep.

Doogle

I would se old lights that are unsatisfactory for growing & use them for a quarantine or hospital tank, anything that is fish only.
I would just buy what is needed or something that you can grow into, a 4x24w fixture is something you could grow into if you decided to use cO2 & high light needing plants like red & grass/type plants , even if you switched to a salt/reef tank the 4x24w T5 is good, you can always use 2 of the bulbs...when they go bad - switch the other two bulbs etc.

Buy once, buy something more than your needs, many of us have gone through this & its solid advice.

DaveK

Here's my 41g planted tank when it. Just had a 2x24w t5HO FIXTURE with a 6500k (life GLO) & pink bulb (power GLO)

Nice planted tank, but it seems to be suffering from an angelfish infestation (grin)(Just teasing)

On a serious note, you do have some very nice angles, but they are outgrowing the tank. Might be a good idea to plan a larger home for them.

Doogle

Nice planted tank, but it seems to be suffering from an angelfish infestation (grin)(Just teasing)

On a serious note, you do have some very nice angles, but they are outgrowing the tank. Might be a good idea to plan a larger home for them.
ya they chew up the plants, out of 6 angels- they have 2 sets of 3 fish ..all breeding regularly.

Yes this is the largest tank I can dedicate to them now. Luckily they grew into 2 groups of 3 fish. All are breeding. They get very aggressive to the other group & me if I put my finger in the tank-when eggs are in tank.
They will try to jump out of the tank & attack me when they have eggs or fry- they are the most offensive fish I own- when they have eggs or fry...by far! Lol...lucky (me & the other fish) they have very tiny mouths. When they don't have eggs or fry they are pretty chill, but boy do they snap with eggs! Lol
They bite like a clownfish, but only when they have eggs/fry so you know when it is coming, unlike clowns..Lol

I know angels should have more tank & it is true they should, mostly because of breeding because they get very mean with eggs/fry.
For the most part angels don't swim much (but they sure can swim fast if they want to!) I've learned to separate them with a large plant (for now). Glad it works well for now, but it is not a permanent solution.
They will lay eggs on leaves, glass, heater, wood, and defend it day & night. Then comes the intensity! Lol

Long story short I understand the dynamics, its not optimal but each set of three are breeding but still need a larger tank. They were dime size when I got them, but my other tanks started breeding like crazy & I don't have enough buyers so they needed a tank for themselves. They cannot stay with South American or African Cichlids! They must be separate! A large tank with Discus maybe!
The pet stores (locally) can't keep up. (They get a great deal) & I've been giving my small african cichlids away lately.
I'm going to be moving pretty soon so I'm starting to give them away and sell my freshwater stuff off. All my cichlids are healthy (American African), always have been, and breeding too fast & have created some neat hybrids-(Africans).
If anyone in the south-western,MI / northwest, IN or northeast, IL area(near Chicago) let me know.
I'm taking pics & they will be on the site & Craigslist very soon.
These fish need good homes & must have large freshwater tanks with compatible inhabitants.
I will demand pics of there new home & ask questions as I will not let them go to home I not feel acceptable, & prefer a larger tank than what they grew up in.

Last edited: