Best food there is bar none.

Paul B

Now I know that I have always said that the best all around food for our animals is whole fish followed by blackworms, but I lied. :(
Live blackworms is actually the third best food.

The absolute best food for our animals, bar none, not even if you go to Mars is Salmon eggs.
Salmon happens to be one of the healthiest foods we as humans can eat because of the Omega 3 oils and other essential fish oils,
But an exceptionally large percentage of that oil is in their eggs.
Yes Salmon Cavior is relatively cheap (as far as fish food goes) and available in Asian markets. It is sold fresh so I don't know if you could get it in the mid west. If anyone lives in the mid west, let me know if you can get it there.
It sells here in NY for almost $40.00 a pound which sounds expensive but it is only about a quarter of what frozen mysis sells for. I just bought 4 ounces for under $10.00 which will last me months.
Each fish only needs one egg which are about a quarter inch across and brimming with salt water fish oil.
My bubble corals, cup corals and any other coral with a mouth just gobbled them up. My bangai cardinal ate four of them and can't hardly close his mouth. They must be target fed.
The large hermit crab attempted to tear the bubble apart in an attempt to steal an egg but I am a little bigger than him and I wrestled it away from him. He was sulking in a corner so I gave him his own salmon egg.
These can only last in the refrigerator maybe two days and must be frozen. I put them in those little plastic trays that mysis come in after they are empty and freeze them.
Asian markets also sell a much smaller fish egg for half that price so depending on the size of your fish you can custom feed these things. I only give this to them a couple of times a week as I do blackworms because they are very rich.
They are even better than worms because besides the oil they supply calcium and every other thing a fish would need. After all, a salmon egg is essentially a compressed Salmon.

:D
tank007-1.jpg

Paul B

Mmmm. Compressed salmon!

Yes it is, just don't use these as a staple food, only a suppliment once in a while. It will also make your skimmer go nuts so you need to watch it.

reefsmoker

I know hemp-milk and hemp oil containing products are very very high in omega 3's and 6's more on the 6 end but very good for any animals

currently we have to buy all our hemp products from Canada and support their 20 billion dollar a year hemp industry and not ours...sad seeing how NASA did a study and found it the most sustainable food on our planet

Paul B

Reefsmoker, I didn't realize that.
The Salmon eggs I buy were caught in the USA as is everything else I buy except electronics which are almost never made in the US anymore.

Paul B

Do you have to worry about levels of mercury in these eggs?

As much as you have to worry about global warming and a meteorite hitting Bayone. In the sea, fish eat fish, mercury and all, it's life