Beginner

Cazmal

We’ve had our marine tank for about a year and thoroughly enjoy it. It’s not too big,90 litre.
At the moment we don’t have too much in it due to ,what I call ,phsyco fish!
We have 2 clown fish, an algae blenny and ‘physco’ fish. The yellow/pink one! He attacks anything new we put in the tank so have decided to rehome him back to where we got him so we can increase what we have. I know we can’t have too much but advice would be nice. We also have an anemone that is now splitting. Hasn’t fed for at least a month so hope once it’s finished it will start eating again. We’re feeding it cockles. Is this ok? Also, as you can see, we have a plant in tank that is growing manic! I trimmed it right back last week and it’s grown back so quick. No idea where it came from as just Appeared!

Attachments

• 95559F26-89B6-4893-B575-03350261332A.jpeg
    95559F26-89B6-4893-B575-03350261332A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

Pat24601

Last edited:

Cazmal

Yes it is a dottyback. Thank you for comment on tank. As a novice it’s good to get nice feedback! Will def look into getting royal gramma

Uncle99

The dottyback needs more space to control so the gramma is a good idea for substitution although at times they can drop their jaw in defiance to clowns but little more than threat. Tank is great for clowns who normally don't stray more than a metre from home.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Last time I had to do that... was when I upgraded from a 34 gal to my 66 gal and I had to remove almost all the rock for a few minutes to catch the last fish. Best of luck, some have had success with a bottle trap - if you Google bottle trap, lots of vids

Pat24601

Last time I had to do that... was when I upgraded from a 34 gal to my 66 gal and I had to remove almost all the rock for a few minutes to catch the last fish. Best of luck, some have had success with a bottle trap - if you Google bottle trap, lots of vids

Yeah, for me it has basically come down to removing almost all the rock for a fish that really just doesn't want to get netted. Some I've been able to net with only some rocks removed if they have a bit less of an instinct to hide.

Short summary is it's a pain. It's why none of us really like to do it.

Cazmal

Yeah, for me it has basically come down to removing almost all the rock for a fish that really just doesn't want to get netted. Some I've been able to net with only some rocks removed if they have a bit less of an instinct to hide.

I don't want to but if we want more fish in our tank he's got to go! Too aggressive. Thanks for advice. Always welcome.

Pat24601

I’ve had little to no luck with bottle traps. I’m sure it works if you have a lot of patience and focus, but I’ve waited forever and not trapped the fish. As painful as removing rocks is, I think bottle traps are worse.

Well, depending on your scape. My old scape you really couldn’t remove rocks at all, which meant bottle traps were the only real option.

Welcome to the forums Cazmal :)

I added a royal gamma to my aquarium after my clowns had settle in. He is a lovely little fish and very entertaining. Initially he would hide away a lot and open his mouth whenever anything came near him. Now he gets on with all the other fish etc I have, with only the odd defensive mouth opening. He has also now dig himself a nice little cave and spat sand out all over my living rock and mushrooms, very annoying but an enjoyment to watch and know he is happy.

I would certainly recommend one.

Little smudge

Taking of traps haha

So I initially had an issue with my wrasse when I introduced my red dragon blenny - after floating him in a quarantine tank it appeared the wrasse finally got use to him, yesterday I noticed he started chasing him again (I’m guessing it’s a good related thing as they both eat the same live food in the aquarium)

Anyways to cut a long story short - I tried for about an hour to try and catch the wrasse (as out of the two I’d rather keep the blenny) bit I had no chance unless I emptied the aquarium (which I wasn’t prepared to do). I had previously noted that the wrasse liked to hang around the sump flow from the main tank. I thought “what if I top the aquarium right up he might just swim straight into the sump” so I blocked the sump Intake and topped the tank right up (salt water at 1025) came back half hour later and hey presto he was in my section 1 of the sump. Removed the protein skimmer and netted him first time. He is now in a “jail tank” ready to take back to the shop over the weekend.

Emptied the excess water re inserted the protein skimmer checked salt level and all is well again.

Maybe I was just very lucky but it worked haha

Uncle99

Sometimes, that's kinda the fun of the hobby, experimentation.
Royal Gramma is always a great choice, colour, price and is a good tank mate.
Took mine out of QT last week and put in display. I have not seen him since.....I know they are shy.....but a week?