beginner and need a little help

anitaoc

:sblush::sblush::sblush::sblush:hi everyone! im new to this kindofthing..
i have a 40 gal reef tank about 5 yrs now started as inherited from my nephew... long story short
its a little overgrown with beautiful maroon color mushrooms and did have some nice purplish color on rocks until these little whiteish gray star fish started showing up and multiply.. how is the best way to get rid of them other than spear them and net them to nearest trash can?
anitaoc

Doogle

Asterina (can't remember if that's the correct spelling) Starfish, yes they multiply like crazy. If I remember correctly their is a couple different kinds of them. The white ones are okay and eat algae, the grey ones are more of a pest towards zoanthids.
I think...
You have to remove them by hand I think , but only if they are bothering your zoanthids or other corals.
I think...

reefer gladness

Aside from manual removal, harlequin shrimp are natural predators of starfish but that's pretty much all they eat (except for some urchins).

Welcome to RS!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us, we love pics :dance:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Welcome to RS!!

If I were you I'd rely on "manual removal" and see how that goes. Good luck and Happy Reefing :)