Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I'm a purist SPS

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I'm not a purist anything

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basile

I've got a system with an integrated external custom made glass wavebox . And i found myself buying only corals that would react to it. Namely soft coral, LPS , but LPS with a long enough tissue to sway into the wave.

Does your set up influence your choices in corals too or your perception of corals and their beauty.

Their's lots of new technology that seems to push are hobby these days, in fact pushing us to buy even more and more expensive stuff. Do we have too?

I've visited a guy with a 10 feet long tank by 4 feet high , with just a sump , and no extras , the lights , and skimmers 4, lol thats it. (heaters and pump etc) but no new gadgets. And its immaculate and great.

So with my wavebox i've sort of corner myself or to maximise my investement whent for the movement only corals .

Did you do the same or do you do the same ?

Are you partial and are you a purist only one kind of coral because such and such?

Is your system and gadgets driving your choices?

In the poll i didn't include softies or LPS because having a wavebox , or powerheads doing a wave is for making softies and LPS move usually, beside making turbulence, because turbulence can be achieved without a pulsing motion.

DaveK

Good questions. I'm more a believer in figuring out what you want to keep, and then designing the system to support it. That way you maximize your chances of success.

A good setup is going to show off your livestock best. How you do it is a very personal choice. Personally I see a lot of tank lighting that I think is far too blue, and the resulting colors look very artificial. Water flow can also be a factor. In some cases, it will cause a coral to grow differently.

I spent may years getting the "latest and greatest" technology for my system. Some things did make a quantum improvement, but for may others, I see the end result as being marginal. Many do not provide any new improvements at all.

Once you get past good lighting, and filtration, most of the rest is optional. However, some of these other devices do make the job a lot easier.

At this point in time, there is a lot of high tech snake oil being sold. Some of it is extremely expensive, and you don't get much for your money. A lot of DIY projects are good, especially when something is made that you can't otherwise obtain.

Nowadays, after having bought a lot of junk, I only get new equipment when I'm sure it's going to make a major difference, or to replace something old that broke. In many cases you only need certain things to solve a very specific problem. If you don't have the problem, you don't need it.

Lastly, always buy top quality. You'll end up doing that anyway, and top quality will last. You'll save because you only had to buy it once. Top quality does not mean most expensive.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
+1 to Dave.

From the beginning of my tank long before it had even been setup, I had decided on keeping sps corals and because of that while planning the tank and buying equipment I made sure each purchase was gear towards giving them the best environment that they could have and thrive in. I didn't consider fish at any point when buying the equipment as I was planning on buy fish that would suit the tank as it is geared towards keeping the corals.

This meant I went with a top quality skimmer that is rated to nearly triple my tank, I have it set to double-ish (variable pump) as my bioload is still quite light with only three fish. Stronger powerheads for the flow (two Tunze's), a really good set of LED lights with a lighting colour scheme closer to sunlight than most, they're not set to be very blue. And all of the other bits, return and heater.
All of it was pretty much the best I could buy as I didn't want to buy again through the knowledge that I would if I didn't get it then.

All in all, they way I've set it up and it's running is really well done and I thoroughly love having the tank and I don't use any products that haven't seen widespread and measured positive effects on a reef system. That being said as I want to further improve the water and living environment for my lovely sps and other corals (few zoa's and ric's), I will be implementing a ZEOvit system as I have done hours of research and seen tanks in person and online that have been improved phenomenally through the setup of a ZEOvit system, I also really enjoy the concepts behind these systems. I have been using a few of their products for a while and there have been measurable improvements in the tank, so the next natural progression for me was to add the full system.

I do believe that having a firm idea of fish or coral that you wish to keep before setting up a reef or FOWLR is the most appropriate way to go about doing it as it ensure that what you want most will always have the best chances, whether it be a mandarin or a forest of acropora colonies. Having the right mindset when buying the equipment and tank can save you a lot of heartache!

Basile

Good questions. I'm more a believer in figuring out what you want to keep, and then designing the system to support it. That way you maximize your chances of success.

A good setup is going to show off your livestock best. How you do it is a very personal choice. Personally I see a lot of tank lighting that I think is far too blue, and the resulting colors look very artificial. Water flow can also be a factor. In some cases, it will cause a coral to grow differently.

I spent may years getting the "latest and greatest" technology for my system. Some things did make a quantum improvement, but for may others, I see the end result as being marginal. Many do not provide any new improvements at all.

Once you get past good lighting, and filtration, most of the rest is optional. However, some of these other devices do make the job a lot easier.

At this point in time, there is a lot of high tech snake oil being sold. Some of it is extremely expensive, and you don't get much for your money. A lot of DIY projects are good, especially when something is made that you can't otherwise obtain.

Nowadays, after having bought a lot of junk, I only get new equipment when I'm sure it's going to make a major difference, or to replace something old that broke. In many cases you only need certain things to solve a very specific problem. If you don't have the problem, you don't need it.

Lastly, always buy top quality. You'll end up doing that anyway, and top quality will last. You'll save because you only had to buy it once. Top quality does not mean most expensive.

When i first left the hobby its because my system burst open and flooded my condo and others, lots of insurances sufferance....My present system i've build with the intention it would last so the structure was paramount, Good tanks, great 2"steel structure powder coated , top skimmers and lights.

Having been a sponge geek for years i knew that sponges helps with water quality and clarity, great polishers. This system is no different. After adding my 4 sponges; when i use to empty my cup of skimate every day is now 2-3 days, and my socks no longer day 4 but day 7. You can't buy that much technology as efficient as a few sponges, and much prettier. And taking care of them is not that difficult and they dont break down that easy lol.

My tank was for wavy things lol. but didn't realise at the time how much it would influence me in my coral choices lol.

Their's no right or wrong answer here by the way, lol its the thought that counts. Theirs also no good or bad choices either just styles.

tumblr_mw9o60y1351rsd0tgo2_400.gif

DaveK

...my bioload is still quite light with only three fish...

Yea, no matter what you always need a few fish so non-reef keepers will have something to look at in the tank. A lot of people just don't get live corals.

DaveK

... Having been a sponge geek for years i knew that sponges helps with water quality and clarity, great polishers. This system is no different. After adding my 4 sponges; when i use to empty my cup of skimate every day is now 2-3 days, and my socks no longer day 4 but day 7. You can't buy that much technology as efficient as a few sponges, and much prettier. And taking care of them is not that difficult and they dont break down that easy lol. ...

I got a question for you, are you talking about sponge filters or keeping actual live sponges?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I got a question for you, are you talking about sponge filters or keeping actual live sponges?

He has some beautiful LIVE Sponges...also has lots of fish.
I'm with ya DaveK on people just "don't get it" when you point out & show them the corals that We take get pride in having. Most of the ones who comment on my corals think the GSP on the sand bed is "sea grass" :yup:
I usually just give up trying to get them to "get it" :hammerhea

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yea, no matter what you always need a few fish so non-reef keepers will have something to look at in the tank. A lot of people just don't get live corals.

I couldn't agree more! At least my girlfriend is starting to get it so I can share the enjoyment with someone who's not a reef keeper that is around the tank frequently haha
As much as I love my fish, I find coral far more fascinating and something that everyone should make an effort to understand. They can be the most rewarding part of the hobby! Having my coral grow and reproduce is the same as a fish person being able to get their stock to breed :)

Basile

LMAO LOL Live sponges i've got a a Ptilochaulis, a Axinella bookhouti, Psuedaxinella lunaecharta , and a Amphimedon compressa Amphimedon .

DaveK

LMAO LOL Live sponges i've got a a Ptilochaulis, a Axinella bookhouti, Psuedaxinella lunaecharta , and a Amphimedon compressa Amphimedon .

Thanks, anyone keeping live sponges is doing something right. It wasn't clear in your first post.

Basile

He has some beautiful LIVE Sponges...also has lots of fish.
I'm with ya DaveK on people just "don't get it" when you point out & show them the corals that We take get pride in having. Most of the ones who comment on my corals think the GSP on the sand bed is "sea grass" :yup:
I usually just give up trying to get them to "get it" :hammerhea

LOL oh at least yours think it sea grass me; some one actually said did you put grass in there and it became like this....and they're the same people who say save the planet but know nothing about . If a worm was cute as cat they'da save it while a useful worm make great contribution to regeneration of soils and matter in ocean they dont care , its all about perception, or how cute things are , lol.

I couldn't agree more! At least my girlfriend is starting to get it so I can share the enjoyment with someone who's not a reef keeper that is around the tank frequently haha
As much as I love my fish, I find coral far more fascinating and something that everyone should make an effort to understand. They can be the most rewarding part of the hobby! Having my coral grow and reproduce is the same as a fish person being able to get their stock to breed :)

How many time i hear the term shark when i say i have a 150 G thats all they know. they think a tank is water and fish, no idea about biology, chemistry, physic, bacteriology and all the other diciplines that goes into this hobby is unreal but to them , its weird, we are weird, its a waste of time and money blah blah , far more interesting to hit a white ball in 18 holes and pay $30 000 per year for a clubs they never own , but somehow everybody calls it "My club" do it part of the year or all year for some , eat and dine and learn NOTHING. lol. Now thats a sport or a hobby what ever your defenition is. Sorry if their's golfer here but i've been bullyed by golfers who made fun of my hobby and said it was a waste of money. My answer was i paid that much its over , its mine for 365 days a year for years to come . You pay $30 000 per year for 20 years thats 600 000 , you play only 4 months a year ( Canada) and you don't own it ever, now who's weird and wasting money lol. let say i hate that side of the family anyway lol.

tumblr_inline_mgy5e8i4uj1r44js7.gif

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The ignorance is painful sometimes, isn't it? It would be nice if they would just accept it and move on, rather than try to justify why we shouldn't or that we put too much time, money and effort into it all. The incessant complaints about my sps being boring and that there aren't enough fish is enough to drive me crazy! LOL I'd personally have something living and growing than hit a little white ball around (I'm with you on the golf haha).
The thing that gets me the most is when people compare your tank to a cat or dog, I want to strangle the person talking when that comes up haha the three animals are completely different but no less important than the other! My cat and tank have the same level of importance to me and I don't love one more than the other lol
Its nice being with people that get it! One of the reasons I love going to the monthly BBQ at my life! Reefers everywhere and all as passionate about :D it's my happy place haha

Basile

The ignorance is painful sometimes, isn't it? It would be nice if they would just accept it and move on, rather than try to justify why we shouldn't or that we put too much time, money and effort into it all. The incessant complaints about my sps being boring and that there aren't enough fish is enough to drive me crazy! LOL I'd personally have something living and growing than hit a little white ball around (I'm with you on the golf haha).
The thing that gets me the most is when people compare your tank to a cat or dog, I want to strangle the person talking when that comes up haha the three animals are completely different but no less important than the other! My cat and tank have the same level of importance to me and I don't love one more than the other lol
Its nice being with people that get it! One of the reasons I love going to the monthly BBQ at my life! Reefers everywhere and all as passionate about :D it's my happy place haha

I hope i never hinted that because i did say i preffer my softies, sorry if i did, by the way.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hahaha no you're safe mate :) I don't mind when fellow reef keepers have opinions on corals, sps isn't for everyone lol it was more a comment on my family :p
I take no offence if you tell me my sps are boring haha you know about corals and reef care so you can appreciate what goes on at least :)

Basile

Hahaha no you're safe mate :) I don't mind when fellow reef keepers have opinions on corals, sps isn't for everyone lol it was more a comment on my family :p
I take no offence if you tell me my sps are boring haha you know about corals and reef care so you can appreciate what goes on at least :)

Yes i actually know its more trouble and its harder to keep sps . For me i just wanted a tank to enjoy the hobby and not go too crazy with the nutrients controll aspect of things. Actually since i like , lps, softies and sponges who are at the other spectrum of the nutrient scale it would be impossible to accomodate both really, or realistically, so i made my bed with it lol. And with it i added the NPS which requires even more nutrients particules lol. The deep end as you can see lol.With a huge refigium i feel safe to do that. My system is geared up to do just that.

DaveK

...The thing that gets me the most is when people compare your tank to a cat or dog, ...

I have neighbours on both sides of me that have dogs.

I tell them to stick with fish, as they are a lot less expensive and easier to car for. (girn)

It's all in fun though.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yes i actually know its more trouble and its harder to keep sps . For me i just wanted a tank to enjoy the hobby and not go too crazy with the nutrients controll aspect of things. Actually since i like , lps, softies and sponges who are at the other spectrum of the nutrient scale it would be impossible to accomodate both really, or realistically, so i made my bed with it lol. And with it i added the NPS which requires even more nutrients particules lol. The deep end as you can see lol.With a huge refigium i feel safe to do that. My system is geared up to do just that.

And I think your system is just as fantastic as some of my favourite sps reefs :) It's up there as one of my favourites! And the amount of work, thought and planning to make sure it was geared towards what you wanted to keep makes it even better!
SPS can be a lot of work and do make the hobby more expensive and the nutrient and element control makes it a little more tricky but I'm a sucker for coloured sticks :p haha
The one thing I do miss in my tank is having the movement that you get with softies and lps, it's quite mesmerising to watch

Basile

I do enjoy a good debate over the better pets sometimes haha

Well as pet goes hmmm the fishes are a responsability, my cats are a responsability and my pets because i can actually pet them at night or during the day . Warm cuddly , fuzzy lol and sometimes mischievious. But i avoid putting my hands too much in the water as much as possible. It nice when it happens to touch you and nibble at your fingers in recongnition but otherwise i feel its not a good thing for either. I've seen infection on fingers of aquarist after handeling of corals or bad working habits in tanks, and its dangerous i feel.

Panaris.jpg

Panaris infection through the finger a blood poisoning of the blood can happen . Bad handling of coral fragging bacterial infection 3 weeks later.