Battery powered Air Pump install

StirCrayzy

So our power is on /off all day today, and I've been putting off adding this automatic backup pump for too long.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/silent-air-b11-aquarium-air-pump-battery-operated

The problem is making it as minimally invasive as possible. Anyone have one of these (or similar) setup, if so please post pics.
I'm fishing for ideas how to hide it, since I really think it needs to be in the DT constantly to make instant backup a reality if I'm not here when the outage hits.

DaveK

Funny you should mention this. I had to use mine a few days ago, since I was without power for about 25 hours. I'm still not sure if I still have all the fish, although the corals look good.

This is the sort of thing where you keep the backup pump, airstones, and a battery supply in the desk drawer and only put it on the tank when it's an emergency. Don't even worry about trying to hide it.

You have another problem. Airstones do not last too long in SW. Since a backup system is never used, if you kept the airstones in the tank all the time, chances are that they would fail when you need them. You would also need to check operation often just to make sure it works. Another factor is that airstones don't move that much water.

Most systems will tolerate being with out power several hours. If your system can't wait for you to get home, you really need a much better backup system than the battery operated air pumps your looking at. In that case, consider some like the EcoTech Marine VorTech Propeller Pumps and their battery backup. See it here (offsite) - http://www.marinedepot.com/EcoTech_...erheads-EcoTech_Marine-EM12331-FIPHAD-vi.html

Yes, I know it's out of sight expensive, but short of a backup generator, it's what you do for a more advanced backup.

Pat24601

As I've looked into how to protect against power interruptions, I've basically concluded what Dave said.

I've got a battery operated pump I keep with my fish stuff that presumably I could dig up if I need it. If anything happens where I need more than that (and it definitely could where I live), I'm basically screwed.

I've looked into a full on generator and I still seriously consider it from time to time, but it's a lot of money. But, that actually seems to me to be the next reasonable option (and it would be more about my family than my fish, but the fish would benefit).

I haven't found a lot of middle ground I think is worth the money.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I keep mine on hand but not in the tank as Dave said. My vortechs bbu buys me some time

StirCrayzy

Currently power has been out, since midnight. I've had the air pump running 30 min per hour, and plugging my return into my car 10 min per hour too.
On the way to borrow a generator shortly.

I've been meaning to upgrade my electric panel , and add the outdoor plugin for generator input.
A generator is by far the best backup, but I wish there was a way to run my jaebo powerheads with the vortech backup system.

Fin

If you can't afford a generator or the VorTech options, those little air pumps can get you by. I will tell you that I have a friend that had a fully stocked 135. He had one or two of those automatic air pumps incorporated in his system. In 2005, our area was devastated by Hurricane Rita. Destroyed our power grid. Everyone was gone due to a mandatory evacuation. Those pumps kept his system alive for a day or two, until a friend (who happened to be a marine biologist) from a nearby town was able to get into his house, load up all of his corals and fish and take them home to her system. He suffered very few losses. I know I wish I had had a couple of those in my tank, because I lost everything.

Airstones are dirt cheap. Keep them on hand and change them out periodically to make sure they will work when you need it. The power may go out when you are not home.

StirCrayzy

I have some " airstones" that are synthetic, very narrow, and I haven't noticed any breakdown using them in sw periodically. They're premounted on rigid acrylic tubes, very small, but not inconspicuous at all.
I'm really after automatic protection, since I'm away from home most of the day,/week.

Pat24601

Currently power has been out, since midnight. I've had the air pump running 30 min per hour, and plugging my return into my car 10 min per hour too.
On the way to borrow a generator shortly.

I've been meaning to upgrade my electric panel , and add the outdoor plugin for generator input.
A generator is by far the best backup, but I wish there was a way to run my jaebo powerheads with the vortech backup system.

Ouch. I hope it comes back soon.

What's the deal?

StirCrayzy

Lots of wind, and tree damage that hit the lines. Lots of big old trees around here, and old power lines and poles not a great combination when there's 50mph winds.

it's on now, Crisis averted. I was on the way to my dad's for a generator when it came back on.

DaveK

I have some " airstones" that are synthetic, very narrow, and I haven't noticed any breakdown using them in sw periodically. They're premounted on rigid acrylic tubes, very small, but not inconspicuous at all.
I'm really after automatic protection, since I'm away from home most of the day,/week.

Airstones in SW fail for two reasons. Some can actually break down in SW. The other factor which effects all airstones, no matter what they are made of, is that the various salts in SW will clog the airstones. I have yet to see any airstones that this didn't happen to, and over the years I have tried most of them.

This is why it's not really practical to keep an airstone in the tank as backup for when power fails. Get what you really need, and don't pin your hopes to a system which has a large chance of not working when you need it.

StirCrayzy

Duly noted Dave, wouldn't logic dictate some air is better than none, in the case of an outage?
My thought is that even without a stone, an open airline must do SOME good right?

Last edited:

Pat24601

You guys are making me seriously look into generators again...

If anyone has any knowledge whatsoever about generators and can recommend one or at least a direction to look, let me know.

DaveK

Duly noted Dave, wouldn't illogic dictate some air is better than none, in the case of an outage?
My thought is that even without a stone, an open airline must do SOME good right?

Not really, it's the small bubbles that do the water movement. Note how much slower they rise to the surface. Large bubbles go up to the surface fast.

That being said, if you really need something in an emergency, you can use a section of airline tubing and use a large pin to make holes in it, or a knife tip to make very small slits.

Remember, I'm talking about airstones failing when they are kepy in SW. If you keep them dry and outside the tank, they will work for a couple of weeks or so.

DaveK

Would the wooden air stones used in early skimmers help if changed every couple of months?

The wood airstones do give very fine bubbles, which is good, but they still will clog over time, and they will rot out in a month or two. Again, great to have outside the tank for an emergency, but don't keep them in the tank all the time.

Wood airstones do have an additional issue. It takes a lot more pressure for them to work. You may not get enough out of a backup battery operated air pump. While we are on the subject, ceramic airstones also need a lot of pressure to operate.

StirCrayzy

Pat, buying a generator is the easy part, managing it's power going into the house is where the planning comes in. Check out some of the related threads at the bottom of the page. You just calculate your running wattage/amperage for what you want to run.

My twins pick in tamaters last yr.