Bangaii Breeding..Here we go, We got Eggs..

SeaMunky

Well here begins my breeding experience..I purchased a pair of Bangaiis last week..Since then they have hangin out together quite closely..The last 2 days or so, they have been shaking against each other.., and one has been quite abit fatter than the other..
Early this morning around 1:30 am, my husband and I turned the lights on to find the female had put herself deep in the eels cave, this kinda worried me at frist, I was thinkin maybe he got ahold of her and dragged her in there, then I noticed she was fine, but trying to wedge herself further in it..In a split second I seen a flash of white, I paniced , it was the eel, he seen her, and darted for her..surprisingly she got out..didnt see anything different after that...
Well I woke up this morning, and found them just swimming normally together..
I came home this afternoon, and fed the tank, and WOOHOO, I noticed the males mouth was so swoolen he can hardly close it...I then noticed the female swimming around with eggs still hanging from her..Omg..I was so excited..
As of right now, they are hiding in a rock hole, in the meantime, I amrying to find out what the nessecary equitment for the fry tank I need....Anyone care to help in this department?.
Hopefully I can keep this thread going as the days go by..
ANyone know how long the male holds the fry or?..ANy info is great..I have spent hours on net looking for answers but have come up short...
Wish me luck...
Heres a pic of mommy and daddy this afternoon when I found them :)
IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

Snelly40

oh my god!!!!
my males mouth today when i got home from work looked just like that, i called my gf over to look, the mouth it much more jutted forward than normal and he didnt eat at all!!!!!!

SeaMunky

woohoo my friend..you are in the same boat then...!!!Congrats..first thing to look for is the jaw, and him not eating....Good Luck to us, we can take this journey together.. :)

Snelly40

yeah buddy, congrats to you too!!!!
i noticed the maled opening his mouth kind of funny and moving around this blob that is clearly in his mouth!

macfarlane

Dont mean to steal your thread, so ill start by saying Congrates on the babies, and i wish you the best of luck on raising them, and i was wondering if you have any suggestions for forums in canada that sell used stuff, due to difficult shipping to canada i would like to find local items. (such as a mated pair :))
thanks in advance, and once again best of luck

SeaMunky

post a pic up here if ya get a chance, would love to see your pair :)
This gonna get interesting...still no replies on what equiptment I need...but I did find out that the male holds for about 25 days or so before he spits the little swimmers..

macfarlane

Dont mean to steal your thread, so ill start by saying Congrates on the babies, and i wish you the best of luck on raising them, and i was wondering if you have any suggestions for forums in canada that sell used stuff, due to difficult shipping to canada i would like to find local items. (such as a mated pair) :fingerx: :fingerx:
thanks in advance, and once again best of luck

SeaMunky

Well Here we are Day 2...Daddy doing a great job of tending to his eggs..Must be hard on him not being able to eat though, he still chases the food around, but cant take it. :( His mouth is looking larger today, he can harly close it, and when he shuffles the eggs around, they are showing, cuz there are many of them..
The female as of today still has eggs coming from her..
My problem lies is, do I let him spit the fry, or remove him from the tank a day prior?...All thats in there is my mates pair of percs, and a peppermint...
Anyone care to give their thoughts?..

sandyc

I sat and read the article on captive care and breeding last night. It looks like a separate tank for the babies and BBS as a food source (along with supplements) are the important items. Also, getting Dad into the separate tank before he releases the babies would make things easier.

Are you going to go for it? Are you going to try to raise the babies? Go Mama, go Mama, go Mama....GO!

Can't you feel the happy glow of new babies? Don't you want to just hug them?:hug1:

lcstorc

Wow!
Babies Babies everywhere.
Good luck and post lots of pics. We would love to follow along on your journey.

Octoman

Wow, very nice! My yellow tang won't let me have cardinals... :( But, I'll be following along here!

SeaMunky

Hi Octo...how are ya...thanks for tagging along...Hubby has camera at golf tournament today, will post new pics this evening..:)..

SeaMunky

Day 5:
Hey Sandy, yup I goin for it..:) I talked to a local guy here in my city who has a 95% success rate with banggai babies, We talk for quite a bit, I think I am all dialed in now..Only thing he didnt cover was the brine shrimp hatching stuff..so I am confused on this stuff, How long, what to use, ect..

Well Day 5, and they doing great..I got to see the dad as he was rolling the eggs around, they must be growing because he cant close his mouth now, pretty cool to see..I am gonna try and get a pic in mid roll so I can show yas..
My clowns are acting very strange, they rubbin all over each other, and the one keeps picking stuff off the back of the heater suctions..Anyone care to chime in on this..
The guy I talked to said, I have to move mom and dad to new tank, or he will stress and spit early if she isnt there too...I am hoping I can do this from beginning to end properly,I gonna do my best thats for sure.. :)

sandyc

Day 5:
Hey Sandy, yup I goin for it..:) I talked to a local guy here in my city who has a 95% success rate with banggai babies, We talk for quite a bit, I think I am all dialed in now..Only thing he didnt cover was the brine shrimp hatching stuff..so I am confused on this stuff, How long, what to use, ect..

Well Day 5, and they doing great..I got to see the dad as he was rolling the eggs around, they must be growing because he cant close his mouth now, pretty cool to see..I am gonna try and get a pic in mid roll so I can show yas..
My clowns are acting very strange, they rubbin all over each other, and the one keeps picking stuff off the back of the heater suctions..Anyone care to chime in on this..
The guy I talked to said, I have to move mom and dad to new tank, or he will stress and spit early if she isnt there too...I am hoping I can do this from beginning to end properly,I gonna do my best thats for sure.. :)

You go girl! I just put my first batch of BBS in with my clown babies. It takes 24 hours to hatch the BBS so you have plenty of time to get started. I ordered mine online from Seahorse source. For the clowns I need decapsulated BBS. I don't know it that is a requirement for Bangaii but if it is, you can get them from Seahorse source. Best of luck!

Hey, maybe we can swap babies sometime in the future:laughroll

SeaMunky

Hey my friend,
Yes decapsulated bbs is what I need..I have no idea what that even means..lol..
Swappin babies sounds awesome, us mommas gotta stick together..*giggles*

sandyc

Hey my friend,
Yes decapsulated bbs is what I need..I have no idea what that even means..lol..
Swappin babies sounds awesome, us mommas gotta stick together..*giggles*

Decapsulated is a fancy word which means that the shell has been removed. If you use regular BBS (with shells) the shell can get caught in the babies throat. We don't want the kids to choke.