"Balling Method" for supplementing

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yes, Heinz uses the TEC III also.
I honestly doubt there would be any significant discount with a group buy. The Seame.com orders the dosers from the manufacturer (with the 110 v). Plus, they would probably have to be ordered all on one card (waiting for everyone, then collecting $$) and shipped to one address here in US, then they would need to be repackaged and shipped to the individual people.... bleh~

But I'll shoot them an email and ask. :)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
When I get home from the office tonight, I'm going to measure to see where I can place this unit. My biggest concern is the containers for each of the solutions!
I'm definately running out of room in my stand! :eek:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Space is an issue for me too. :( I am looking outside the stand for other options.

I got a response regarding the discount:
hello

if i could do it i did it but we have also pay the shipping rate,and thats already very expensive to the usa, most of the costomers we have are insite the eu, and a couple of them outsite, but the difference between the eu and the usa is very big, and our price is below the normal price, so we dont make that much of profit to ship outsite the usa
but if you buy more, maybe i can ask the wholesaler if i can get 5 % you can get the 5 % so let me know what you want and i will ask for you
gr leo

IMO, it's not worth the extra hassle for a 5% discount.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I agree on the 5% discount, it's not worth it. I like the thin containers. I'm going to see if I can fit three of them inside my stand! Tell Leo he might have 2 sales! :D I may have to do some creative rearranging.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Me too... The smaller containers are a great idea!

It is daunting and expensive to initially get up and running but I really thing the germans are onto something good with this balling method :)

I'm glad I didn't recently get the ca reactor just to replace it! :eek:

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
That's why I bagged out of the Ca reactor group buy (sorry guys). Your stand is as wide, but a little deeper, than mine (L 48.5 x W 18.5 x H 25), right?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Yeah, mine is approx 48x24x36 but the 2x4's inside eat up a lot of space.

vodka? Not for me. (but maybe Booze could give those that are a good 'group discount'?) LMBO!

hma

I wonder if we can dose vodka with this method! :lol:

Without any problem Scott. To dose vodka impairs the Balling method in no way. We have tested this everything in our study very intensely. Even a strong vodka dosage has no influence on the Balling method. Merely the PH can drop a little bit, but one can compensate (approx. 0.1 - 0.2 PH) this by a light rise of the dosage from Balling Can II (NA approx. 5ml). :angel2:

BTW .... I am dosing Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate (Can II) exclusively in the early morning (6.00-7.00h am), in this time the PH is low and then it make sense.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I emailed Ralf Prehn to ask about dosing pumps. You can view his site here: cashh.de

Here is his response to my question asking about the LiterMeter III, the Aquamedic, and the GroTech TECH III dosing pumps.

Hi Doni Marie,
thank you very much for your kind words.

Please stay away from the Aquamedic ones, I've had one and threw it away.
The working principle of all those pumps is, that the hose inside the pump is squeezed with some small, rotating wheels. That moves the liquid.
The Aquamedic ones have only 2 wheels and not 3 like the more expensive ones.
This makes, that it is possible, that the wheels stop in a position, that does not close the hose fully, so liquid will poor back and there is no dosing accuracy, or water may flow out of the tank. Aquamedic ships a one-way valve with the pump to prevent this, but these valves are not chemical proof :-(.
They really should have designed the pumps more carefully.

The Grotech one (TECH III), maybe with extention module, if u need more than 3 pumps, seems the right one to me. Its relatively easy to programm (simply enter the volume) and very reliable. It does not use the one way valves, because it does not have to ;-).

I use it only for my trace elements and not for balling, because I need more than the maximum of 1.9 liters a day, that a Grotech channel supports as max.
volume.

Unfortunately I don't know the LiterMeter III personally.
You might give it a chance, if it has at lease 3 of the mentioned wheels and no one-way valves.

Hopefully I could make myself understand, English is (as you already guessed ;-) not my native language.
Best,
Ralf

hma

I emailed Ralf Prehn to ask about dosing pumps. You can view his site here: cashh.de

Here is his response to my question asking about the LiterMeter III, the Aquamedic, and the GroTech TECH III dosing pumps.

Tut mir Leid Ralf aber da muss ich widersprechen!:tears:

I am so sorry but there I must contradict Ralf. Indeed, the AquaMedic has really only two wheels, but if you use 2 check valves (no return valves) on each end, one run back from liquid is absolutely impossible therefore and the dosing accuracy is guaranteed absolutely.

RalfP

Hi all,
please excuse me, for not introducing myself in the proper way.
But as I agreed in quoting me, I guess it's only fair to reply on
replys on that ;-).

Tut mir Leid Ralf aber da muss ich widersprechen!:tears:

I am so sorry but there I must contradict Ralf. Indeed, the AquaMedic has really only two wheels, but if you use 2 check valves (no return valves) on each end, one run back from liquid is absolutely impossible therefore and the dosing accuracy is guaranteed absolutely.

Hi hma, great to meet you here.
Well, this is only my opinion, but I think, that a hosepump, that does
not hold the hose tight, is a missdesigned product.
Shipping the workaround for that together with the produkt does not make it any better IMHO. It does only say, that the manufacturer already know the problem but does not do anything against it.
Maybe I should have used different valves from another manufacturer.
Dosing about 2 liters per Balling solutions a day resultet in:
- the NaHCO3 valve got stuck after 1 month
- the CaCl2 valve got a "run through" after 2 month and due to the fact, that the hose unfortunately endet half a cm under the watersurface, about 100 liter reefwater got on my floor.
That, together with the same experience from a guy on reefcentral brought me to my judgement. I tossed the pumps, not willing to sell it to another person on e***.
Seems, that you're happy with the pumps. Great, but I cannot share that experience ;-)

Thanks, best,
Ralf

Woodstock

RS STAFF
:hallo: Welcome Ralf! Thanks for chiming in here!.... and for all of the lengthy, patient, informative emails to me :D

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Welcome Ralp to Balling America! We're novices over here and as usual have to lean on our forward thinking European friends for advice.:lol: You're tank is beautiful (I visited your web site)!:D