Bali Green Slimer

Ratpack

I have a chance to pick up a frag for dirt cheap. Only thing is my current tank only has PC lighting. The new tank is cycling and has a few weeks to go. It will support it I know, but will it survive under my PC's for a couple weeks if I put it up close to the surface and the lights?

Varga

I found the green slimer to be a very easy grower. I got one growing happily in a pretty dark area of the tank

ReefLady

Staff member
We had one and it grew like crazy. I don't think a couple weeks under pc will hurt it. Try to get it close to the surface.
When you do get MH's, make sure you acclimate it to the new lights.

Frankie

RS STAFF
We had one and it grew like crazy. I don't think a couple weeks under pc will hurt it. Try to get it close to the surface.
When you do get MH's, make sure you acclimate it to the new lights.
Ditto to all. Keep a close eye on it though~

ReefLady

Staff member
I honestly know very little about T5's. I've been out of the hobby for a while, but I've never heard of anyone keeping sps succesfully with anything other than MH's.
Now, as I said, I know precious little about T5's, so hopefully someone who has experience with these lights and sps will stop by to offer their experience.

ReefLady

Staff member
Here's one month's growth under our MH's

0613slime.jpg

0717slime.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I honestly know very little about T5's. I've been out of the hobby for a while, but I've never heard of anyone keeping sps succesfully with anything other than MH's.
Now, as I said, I know precious little about T5's, so hopefully someone who has experience with these lights and sps will stop by to offer their experience.

Terri hang in there. Yes a "Few" things have changed. With a "Quality" T5 light fixture you can keep anything your heart desires. There are still "Purists" who think it should be MH or nothing (and I think you may be at least slightly 'partial' to them but that's not a BAD thing at all) :D.

By QUALITY fixture I mean a brand name unit (for warranty etc) and the most important aspect is "Individual Reflectors". Not "molded reflectors or one big shiny SHEET but each bulb has it's OWN quality reflector. Those reflectors make the MOST difference in how much light actually strikes the coral's surface. It's amazing how much (by maybe 60+% ) they improve performance.

Terri that's one HECK of a cool coral. It's officially on my "Must Have" list now :)

ReefLady

Staff member
Thanks Al. Appreciate the information. I'm not necessarily partial, just never had anything other than MH & VHO lighting. The only thing I think I don't like about the T5's (from pics of tanks I've seen using them) - is that they don't seem to have the natural shimmer or sparkle that the MH's give to the water. Is that true? Is there a good place online that offers comprehensive info about T5's? Par, wattage, power consumption, heat production, kelvin temp/s, coral growth & coloring, etc.?
(sorry to hijack)....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Teri (I got it right ) there are so MANY variables I don't know how many places are ABLE to compare them and be "Accurate".

Ballasts

Fans

Bulb (spectrum, manufacturer etc)

Reflectors

all this plays into the "Efficiency" of the unit getting light INTO the tank.

Wattage (unless over-driven and that's a whole OTHER topic) is mandated by length of bulb. T5's are SWEET at least IMHO. From here on out my tanks will be either T5's or LED (money is the inhibiting factor on LED's)

Ratpack

My light should be good. It is a TEK 6x54 and it sits about 4" above the water surface. I know a lot of people use these on 90g tanks with clams on the bottom, so with a 75g (4" less depth) and the corals closer to the top, I think I will be able to keep most SPS that I want. Some are still probably out, but their care level is beyond what I am ready for anyway.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Tim I think you should be able to keep anything with that fixture on that tank. Good deal :thumber: