Balance blocks

mps9506

According to the chemistry gurus these things cannot possibly work.
They cannot keep your tank's Ca and alk balanced automatically.
If they did every reefkeeper would be using these things.
Just get some quality Ca and alk testkits, some C-Balance or Kents TechCB, and figure out how much you need to dose every day or every other day. Or if you prefer an automated solution just setup a kalkwasser doser/dripper or autotopoff.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
You are absolutely correct Mike ;) If they work as claimed, then I can beam myself to Mars :lol:

Ok guys i wasnt planning on using them a customer had me order some in at my work and i just wondered about them never used them so i just thought i might ask...
geeeeze :(
Shawn

DaveK

This is about a 4 year old thread.

To answer your specific question, you are adding a bunch of stuff to your reef and you don't even know what's in it.

One thing you'll find out very quickly is that there are no "miracle" cure all products, especially when it comes to adjusting pH in SW. Yes, you might get the pH correct, but doing it with such a "shot gun" approach tends to get something else, just as critical, out of balance.

While I'm on a rant, take one of those printed catalogues from the "big time online stores" and go through it. Put an X over every product that is out and out junk, substandard, or otherwise just shouldn't be used in a reef system. It's amazing how much stuff you'll find.