Back To The Hobby RSM C-130

crownsbroyal

After a 5 year hiatus from the hobby, I will be setting up a RSM C-130. I used to have a 90 gal mixed reef and a 28 gal JBJ all in one. A friend gave me a C-130 to get me back in the hobby, lets see how this works out. I have limited time for husbandry so I would like to try to keep things on the simple side, but as you know that never lasts with reef keeping. So far I have bleached some Pukani rock from BRS and it is now sitting in a bin with water and a declorinator. I have also bought SteveLED upgrade for the tank as I plan to house some SPS (Yes I know I said simple). I plan to use an MP10qd for circulation. I have a pair of Onyx Perc Clowns in my friends quarantine tank. I do plan on trying to add Dr. Tims one and only to help cycle this tank. I will be adding some media from a friends existing tank and also using some clean live sand. I will try to update this thread with pics and details as I go.

crownsbroyal

Ok, My rocks have been bleach and now I'm going to start getting it ready. I cleaned out the tank and the pumps with a vinegar solution. When cleaning out the skimmer pump, I dropped and lost the little rubber "condom" (for lack of a better term) at the end of the shaft that the needle wheel sits on. Do they sell replacements for these?? Is it even worth replacing, or should I just get a tunze 9001 for this tank? Can someone with experience chime in and let me know which skimmer is better for the tank and if that rubber piece is replaceable?

I made a structure with the Pukani rock and some epoxy, trying to figure out an aqua scape. I'll post some pics of the scape....

IMG_1389(1).jpg IMG_1392(1).jpg IMG_1393.jpg

Last edited:

crownsbroyal

So I added the rock to the tank and filled it with RODI and redsea coral pro salt. I also used a live sand for the substrate. I also did the steve's led upgrade over the weekend and for some reason it does not want to turn on. I got the it with the bluefish controller so I'm not sure where the problem is. I will call over there later today to get some help on it. I also noticed that when the light is plugged in the fan is on whether the light is on or not (at least that is what happened with me) and the fan seems pretty loud, I am kind of worried about that. I guess ill ask when I call them today.

You can see my aquascape, not thrilled with it but should have plenty of room for corals. I am always a fan of the two island approach which was more challenging with such a small tank.

IMG_1489.jpg IMG_1490.jpg IMG_1491.jpg

Oxylebius

When cleaning out the skimmer pump, I dropped and lost the little rubber "condom" (for lack of a better term) at the end of the shaft that the needle wheel sits on. Do they sell replacements for these?? Is it even worth replacing, or should I just get a tunze 9001 for this tank? Can someone with experience chime in and let me know which skimmer is better for the tank and if that rubber piece is replaceable?

Are you talking about the impeller? If so, yes these are replaceable on most pumps. You will have to look your pump brand up and conduct an internet search for impeller to buy a replacement.

crownsbroyal

Are you talking about the impeller? If so, yes these are replaceable on most pumps. You will have to look your pump brand up and conduct an internet search for impeller to buy a replacement.
Yes, but my impeller is fine, its just that rubber tip that was lost.

Replacement impellers are expensive. I would try to find a replacement tip, maybe even from a different impeller. All you need is something that keeps the impeller shaft seated in that compartment so it doesn't rattle around and break.

crownsbroyal

Ok, it’s been a while since I updated. So the tank has been running for a while now. I ended up using the Tunze skimmer. I’m not that pleased with it, it seems finicky and it’s not pulling as thick as I would like.

I ended up getting a blue spotted jaw fish, a starburst anthias, my onyx clown pair, sandsifting goby, purple fire fish, Randal shrimp paired with a tiny barbershop goby. I also got a rainbow bubble tip anemone for the clown but they want nothing to do with it. :(

Fish seem to be doing great although the anthias hides in the cave all day, I will occasionally see it come out in the evening and morning but as soon as it catches sight of me across the room he runs back to the cave. I hope he gets more comfortable. I also have yet to see him eat but I’m sure he does because he doesn’t look skinny and has been in the tank for about a month. For the jawfish because my sandbox isn’t very deep, about 2”, I built one of those condos out of pvc that I buried in the sand. He seems to like that but gets pretty crazy in the evening and morning with the light change and tries to jump. He is eating well so far.

I’ll post a few pics. Can't seem to find any full tank shots, I'll try to grab one later tonight.

Last edited:

crownsbroyal

How did you get on with your Steve's LED retrofit. Some pics would be great.
I'm not sure yet on the Steve's LED's. They seem to work well, I'm just concerned on the colors I am getting with them. They only come with two colors of LED, white and blue. I understand that that is all the corals need to grow, however, i think the other colors in the spectrum that you get with other fixtures like the Radions might help with the visual appearance (also important). The jury is still out on them for me. The install went OK aside from a driver (or something) hick up that didn't allow them to light up when I initially installed. I had to reopen them to pop off something soldered onto the mother board. They did talk me through how to do it on the phone (apparently an issue with the manufacturer).

crownsbroyal

It’s been almost a year, I think it’s time to update this with some more current photos. When I get home later, I upload some full tank shots. Here are a few corals.
6583C8A1-8E54-4652-973E-B812E7A99271.jpeg

2E47E897-A13C-4474-AE79-91F912FF9DB9.jpeg
B0C958A5-C44E-4FCE-9BF0-497D1360C2FF.jpeg

9227BBDC-F488-4F62-8A31-953D345DFE37.jpeg

4E5095DC-62E1-4EB2-99F5-F875F713CB6B.jpeg

These are with the LED blues on high, I’ll take some tonight with the daylights on.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
@Travis I just tried to load a pic too and it turned sideways ... must be some software issue, Travis (the owner of RS) will have to work on fixing.

Beautiful corals !