Back at it again... Maybe...

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Hiya folks,

Posting this in the meet and greet, since it's been a while since I've been on here. I'm not really new... As a matter of fact I was a founding member of this site... Anyways, I am kicking around the idea of setting up a little reef tank after a 6+ year hiatus. Petsmart has their 40g breeder tanks on sale for $40, and LED lighting has a special place in my heart after installing a full philips hue system in my place. Maybe a combo T5/LED setup. Not sure yet.

Anyways, still kinda looking around and pondering the thought, but I thought I'd drop in and say 'Hi'.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
So I bought some stuff today, and started digging through some old stuff.

Turns out I will have a pretty good start. So far I have:
Tank- 40g breeder
Stand (I have a plan to 'skin' it, lets see if my idea pans out)
Aquaclear 110 (for HOB 'fuge/place to run carbon, etc.)
AquaC remora (may or may not use this)
Kalk reactor w/ aquamedic niveaumat dosing pump
40 lbs aragonite sand, probably gonna grab another 20-30 lbs more
I think I have a wave maker switch box floating around somewhere...
Refractometer

My shopping list (and please weigh in if anyone has suggestions):
2x Hydor koralia 565gph pumps
Current USA Orbit LED fixture- I am thinking about getting a standard for now, and adding a second, possibly pro, down the line due to the depth of the tank. Or add a T5 fixture. Being only 19" tall, I think LPS and softies might be OK with the standard model.
Live rock- source TBD
test kits

And I can just use tap water and table salt, right? :-D

Getting excited!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1564.JPG
    IMG_1564.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 11

mr_tap_water

Hi there
Tap water isn't ideal if you don't know what you're doing but if you do I would suggest using a water conditioner to go along with it, ideally Most people believe you're better off with RO water, and table salt no good either you need to look into the brands of Salt that are out there design for salt water aquariums that have the right balance of elements to sustain life in your aquarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Hi there
Tap water isn't ideal if you don't know what you're doing but if you do I would suggest using a water conditioner to go along with it, ideally Most people believe you're better off with RO water, and table salt no good either you need to look into the brands of Salt that are out there design for salt water aquariums that have the right balance of elements to sustain life in your aquarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry... that line was a bad joke. I am probably going to buy an RO/DI system, or buy water for now. I already ordered a bucket of reef crystals... it's what I used to use back in the day.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi fidojoe great to see you back in the game and posting on RS again !

Be sure to start a tank thread so we can follow along !

Looks nice :nessie:

index.php

DaveK

Sorry... that line was a bad joke. I am probably going to buy an RO/DI system, or buy water for now. I already ordered a bucket of reef crystals... it's what I used to use back in the day.

That's not bad at all, you got someone to bite, and that was someone experienced.

Years ago I kept some African Cichlids, and when I'd buy them I'd ask the person at the LFS, "These won't eat my neons, will they?"