Baby clam driving me nuts- flipping all over, can I do tank within a tank?

I keep having to stick my hand into the tank at least twice a day. From tuxedo dragging clam to clam taking suicide jumps off rock to clam always laying sideways..etc

When I stick my hand in the tank it's up to my shoulder to reach for this little clam . He throws himself off any rock etc. even at the bottom of the tank where I have him placed now.

So I was thinking could I buy an isolation tank or hanging breeder tank? Put rocks in it and hang it from edge or place high up in tank near light- place baby clam in it? Shoot all my clams on rocks in it, at least my crocea and baby clam.

Yesterday found crocea at bottom of tank too... Dive bombed. Not suctioning to rock they are on.

CPR First A.I.D. Isolation / Quarantine Tank

Or would this be a dumb idea.
Can you think of another kind of isolation or something I can hang on the inside of the tank, place two rocks in it or several rocks and put clams in it????

Hugs

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You could try an "Isolation" tank. You may find something more suitable to your needs in the bed & bath section of your local retail store. I've used soap dishes, sponge holders and all kinds of goodies in the tank. Take em home, wash em real good with a strong vinegar & water bath and then rinse before going to the tank.

TylerHaworth

Set him on a pile of rock rubble on the sand... He will attach to the rock rubble, which in turn can be moved/glued anywhere.

I also have rubble, small rock all around him...but he sometimes is no where to be Found..lol and then laying sideways. Can they prop them selves back up on their own???

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Try placing him somewhere else. I've no clams myself(yet), but everything i read makes one thing clear. If he's moving around, its cause he isnt happy where he is. Try a different location

Roots

Try burying a small flat rock into the sand bed so it's completely covered leaving about 1/2"-1" sand covering the rock. Then place the little calm above the rock you buried and kind of dig him down into the sand a little to help hold him in place. He should burrow his foot down into the sand, and attach to the rock underneath.

I didn't want my clam attached to the rock work in my tank so I placed him on the sand bed but without a rock underneat the sand and he burrowed to the bottom of the tank and attached to the glass. Ohh and he moved around a quite a bit turning sideways and then back until he attached a few weeks later. Now he stays in one spot only. Unfortunately I didn't think to burry a small rock under the sand so now he's stuck where he is for good.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
cut a piece of PVC pipe (sized for your clam) about 1/2 inch in length and place it around the clam in the area you want him to attach put 1 or 2 pieces of rubble rock on each side to keep him upright.

427HISS

Remember, clams prefer to be in sand like they come from, like atolls and shallow waters, so a lot (but not all) are unhappy being on rock, unless it's pretty smooth. It can actually tear at their foot, because it's abrasive, especially a young clam. If they don't like where you place them, they will do anything they can to move to a better suitable location. They can become stressed and die.

What lighting do you have ?
What for water flow ?