Auto Top off Container???

msalih81

So I read here that food grade rubbermaid containers are ok for fresh water top off, It's ok to mix my aquarium water change water w/ salt additives etc. in a new rubbermaid trash bucket? If not why?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I use a food grade storage container for rodi and saltwater. No problems at all

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
So I read here that food grade rubbermaid containers are ok for fresh water top off, It's ok to mix my aquarium water change water w/ salt additives etc. in a new rubbermaid trash bucket? If not why?

They are fine to use. I use one Rubbermaid Brute for fresh RO/DI water and another one that I mix my SW in.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I use an old salt bucket for my ATO

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340987720.595693.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340987746.823565.jpg

Building a more attractive acrylic box is on my long list of things to do.

Cyclist

Some great ideas for an ato. I am wondering if I should add one to our 28g nano cube? Anyone in the San Diego area experience a lot of evaporation?

hey, i have a dumb question. never had an auto-fill before, and got one that works with my sump. what composition of water should i use? when water evaporates, it leaves salt behind and salinity raises a bit, so i'm guessing all salt isn't the right choice? obviously, all RO will water down the salt lever. should i use water that's a ppt less than the salinity to see if that keeps it relatively level? this involves math and chemistry that i am far too removed from these days. (makes my brain hurt). 65gal tank. sump currently runs around 600gph if that factors in at all...

i suppose i could just run the sump without it for a while and see what the salinity is after some evap and adjust that way?

Use pure RO. When water evaporate, it leave salt behind so SG rises. Pure RO goes in till the top off sensor to rebalance. No math or chemistry involved.

ChrisOaty

Hi guys, just finished soldering up my float switch to an extension cord for my fill pump. Just using a 5 gallon bucket in my cabinet. Testing the switch with a light bulb I ran into a problem. The light was off when the float was up (so far, so good), and turned on when I let it drop to within a centimeter of the bottom (good deal). When I pulled the float back up the shaft, the light bulb stayed on (uhhh...:confused:). Perhaps I have no idea what I am doing, or how this thing works, but have i done this wrong? Is my float switch bunk? Help please :(

aprime11b

I have a question, I just set up my holding tank for my ATO in my stand, its a 20g rubbermaid... I screwed up my sensor so I had to order a new one before my JBJ ATO will be finished... question is, does my holding tank with the pump in it need a power head for water circulation or air stone, or is the no movement and still water okay? Does it have any negative effects? Also, do I need a lid for my holding tank so it does not evaporate like my sump or does it not matter. Thanks!

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have a question, I just set up my holding tank for my ATO in my stand, its a 20g rubbermaid... I screwed up my sensor so I had to order a new one before my JBJ ATO will be finished... question is, does my holding tank with the pump in it need a power head for water circulation or air stone, or is the no movement and still water okay? Does it have any negative effects? Also, do I need a lid for my holding tank so it does not evaporate like my sump or does it not matter. Thanks!

You don't need an air pump for the ATO water. I do keep a lid on mine but only to lessen the chance that my 4 legged pets don't drink it or haven anything inadvertantly fall into it. How big is your tank? 20g seems like a large ATO container. Just make sure that you're super confident in your ATO cause you don't want a stuck pump putting that much freshwater in your tank.

aprime11b

The tank is a 220g with a 40g sump, although its only full 60%. I dont like topping it off with buckets every 3 days so I figured a 20g rubbermaid will last a week or 2. How does one become super confident with their ATO?

csmsss

I am using a solenoid to connect my R/O output directly to my ATO float. Works very well and no more lugging water for me. And one thing I cannot stress highly enough is to connect your ATO to a timer to restrict the length of time your ATO can stay open just in case your float(s) stick open.

saintsreturn

So I know I am late to the party, but here is another bit to read.
I currently use 5 gallon jugs from the fish store. I make RO in them so I just swap it out 2 a week. I am looking at a true container so I can get some room back under the system, but I don't like the idea of pouring into the container under the stand since I will not have a slide out. We will see.
Now the big one, I have had a tank running consistently for the last 4 years. Never had a single problem with my auto top off unit and even got mad a few times because the safety timer would kick on before the top off completed. Super annoying when I was working long days. And then after four years I got the dreaded call. "HONEY THE TANK IS LEAKING WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!"
My wife doesn't know Jack about the tank and I was busy at work so I just said, well guess I'm screwed. Turns out when I cleaned the tank the night before I somehow knocked the RO line out of the sump. Never has this happened so I didn't think to check. I had RO run a 7 min stream on to my floor.

Why do o say all this? Get a timer. Find someway to ensure your system cannot fail and overflow or flood your area. This is also why I discourage larger top off systems that do not have safeties. It is better to be maxed at 5 gallon than find a 20 gallon mistake. Imagine if 20 gallon of RO runs free into your system versus 5... Or your floor...

But to answer your question I prefer, for now, to just use the water jugs from the store as I know it's safe

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk