Auto Top off Container???

recole

FFrankie,
Thanks. I sent the measurements and idea of what I needed off to a guy in Ohio that someone suggested and was a little aprehensive when he told me the cost (really cheap) but gave the go ahead. I was more than impressed when I got it a few weeks later and the hinged lid was a plus plus the holes for ATO lines I mentioned to him. It was made to fit in my cabinet here:

Picture_09211_Small_.jpg

Snelly40,
Sorry to side track your post some.......

Can you tell me who this guy from Ohio is? Nice job. Might do the same. Thanks,Ron

linesider

might be a bit late for this but maybe someone can use this info.
I have those same 15gal water storage containers

here is a link for a guy that sells those water barrels.
TANKS

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

here is a link for a guy that sells those water barrels.
TANKS

Nah not too late. Someone can use this information and thanks for sharing :)

dacooley

I saw a design while surfing for an auto top-off system without a pump...
Have to use a jug for the TO water that can be sealed really well (screw on lid)
has a fitting at the bottom side of the container that sits in the sump, and a tube coming from the top of the cap that is glued to the side of the sump, and the end of the tube is at the water fill level (Open end down)... when the water drops in the sump, it lets air into the cap so water runs into the sump from the bottom fitting... once the level comes back up to the fill line, the air is blocked and no more water can come in... The container has to be above the water level of the sump, but is pretty simple...

dacooley

That would be a great tank for the auto top off without a pump...
They put the faucet in the bottom, and you put the vent in the 1 1/4 NPT plug on top...
Run a small hose from the vent to the sump and probably about a 3/8 or so from the faucet to the sump and you are in business...
close the faucet when you need to refill the barrel, seal it back up and turn it back on...

BigRed

I have a 10g Brute to hold my water, I just ran an RO line across my drop ceiling to the bucket, which I put a float valve in. I use Tom's lift pump and the dual stage ato system from autotopoff.com, love it so far..

Basile

For anybody looking for containers.
Look for a rain water container ,they sell them at harwhare store in gardening. Its a bit more expensive but its made to hold water, so no worries. And NO to rubbermade they fail sometime, my buddy learned that the hard way.

PEMfish

I am rebuilding my reef system. I plan yo use an unused bathroom for an equipment room. I am trying to find a cheap RO DI reservoir that will fit in the shower. I am thinking of building a wood box and lining it with pond liner. I know there are different types out there but in general are the flexible ones chemically inert?
Sorry for the hijack

adicus

Has anyone had any issues with the ATO pump clogging when adding either calc or alk or both suppliments?

cm11599ps

For water containers try checking out restaurant supply stores. The ice buckets they use to fill up the coolers in the bar area are smaller and are food grade so do a search for them.

1Reefer

Very true! I also use an Acrylic ATO box, they work wonderful.... and they're clear so you can easily see water level.

Schwa

for a top off container I use a blue water jug that they sell at walmart the vent hole holds a piece of rigid tubing snugly and the water volume is not enough to over flow the sump or create enough of a salinity drop to kill anything it holds 7 gallons which is perfect for a weeks worth of top off water then I switch it out and refill with my RO unit and they are stackable and only cost 10 dollars and are made for holding water so they wont leach anyhting camping section at walmart

DBrinson

I've used all kinds of water containers, have gone as far as to have glass compartmentalized tanks built custom at Pensacola Glass, the local all-purpose glazier.

But by far, the most useful water container I have come across is a "trailer water caddy" that is designed -- get this -- for bringing water from where your show horse usually drinks on the road with you ... apparently a lot of spoiled horses won't drink water they aren't used to drinking haha. (no wonder I keep fish)

It's rated for drinking water, holds 40 gallons, and I can pack four of them in a linen closet nearby my tank.

Here is a link to the manufacturer who made mine, but you can find these things anywhere they sell horse training supplies.

I use one to hold fresh topoff RO/DI water, one to store "waste" water that I use to refill my refugium/quarantine tank, and one to mix saltwater in for automatic water changes.

steved13

PREMIUM
I'm using a container made by cambro. If you live near a restaurant depot they have a great selection. They're food grade and come in a variety of sizes and shapes and all have lids available. I must have 6 or 7 diferent sizes at this point, I use them for everything except transportation IE: acclimation, dipping, ATO. I think a 3 gallon with lid is about $14 a 1 gallon with lid about $6. They have graduated markings in liters and quarts on the side.

bawla47

i use a good ol fish tank for my salt mixing next to tank, a 20g xh and a 10g acrylic sump thats converted to being my water topoff.

LifeAquatic

Best auto top off containers are sold at Hydroponic stores. They come in many different sizes and are designed to hold water for auto top off. They dont cost that much either.

MJC

I have a float valve attached to mine only as a backup just incase it fills up to the top when Im in the bathroom lol. I NEVER set it and forget it.