Auto Feeder for RSM250 with hood

thedru13

So have surgery coming up and I have to travel for it. I will be away for about 14 days. Unfortunately I don't have anyone that can come in and feed my tank. I know dry food isn't the best to feed but was thinking its something while I am away. Has anyone found an autofeeder or a solution to be able to feed while they are away? I keep my hood closed due to my Blue spotted jaw fish so can't leave it open Any thoughts on this would be great.

SPR

I use a JBL auto feeder which was recommended byLFS. Not cheap but works perfectly with dry pellets and you get what you pay for. Got mine actually off Ebay

it fastens to tanks with a clamp but also comes with 2 sets of brackets with suckers so not sure on your set up with the hood but it's designed for all sorts of tanks.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
So have surgery coming up and I have to travel for it. I will be away for about 14 days. Unfortunately I don't have anyone that can come in and feed my tank. I know dry food isn't the best to feed but was thinking its something while I am away. Has anyone found an autofeeder or a solution to be able to feed while they are away? I keep my hood closed due to my Blue spotted jaw fish so can't leave it open Any thoughts on this would be great.

I would source a piece of clear plastic sheet big enough to cover the area whilst the front flap is lifted, cut a hole of a suitable size to allow the food to fall through from an auto feeder, not pretty to look at but effective and suitable for trips away etc.

DaveK

What livestock do you have in the tank?

Many fish can live easily for two weeks without feeding. However there are some that must be fed every day, or sometimes more that once a day.

For example, a tang can usually find a lot to graze on in the tank, so it might be able to go for weeks without a formal feeding. Anthias damsels are a different story, ideally they should be fed at least once a day and several time a day is better.

I have often been away for 2 weeks, not done anything special, and everything has been fine. Although if possible, have someone come in once or twice during that time to check up on things.

Where do you live? Maybe there is another local reef keeper you can have check up on your systems, and you can check up on their system when they are away.

Lastly consider that your trip is for medical reasons. It's quite possible that the recovery for that will take longer than expected.

Trinny

When I went away, I bought a Eheim Autofeeder and feeder platform kept the front lid open but taped flyscreen to the opening so nothing could jump out.

Antics

Tagging along because I'm curious myself. I think the biggest challenge is the euro style bracing in the front regardless off the hood.

Trinny

The Ehiem auto feeder platform can be mounted to most styles I think, the attachment can be mounted to a vertical or horizontal section with a turn of the attachment. The chute also sits under the water surface so less pellets go straight into the sumpimage.jpegimage.jpeg