Auto Dosers

SPR

I have just about set up my new 650 S and I'll post some pictures etc on the other thread. It's a reef/fish set up.

I am going to use the Red Sea NoPoX and possibly other additives and just wondered if anyone had used a good auto system. I was looking at the TMC system but open to suggestions?

I only need 1 channel initially but wondered what else I can auto dose in the future so will probably go for something with 3-4 channels. What other things do you auto dose?

DaveK

I would not even consider a dosing pump or system of any sort, until I have figured out how much and what I will be dosing.

Do you dosing manually until you have all this worked out. Don't buy more than you need. As a general rule, don't dose anything you can not test for. As a note, you can test how something like NoPox is working because you can measure nitrates and phosphates, and see id you have any algae issues.

For the time being run things manually, see what you need and only then invest in a dosing system. Also, if you find the product doesn't do much for you, you can just stop using it, and you will not have spent money on a fairly expensive dosing pump or system.

Oxylebius

If you just set up your 560, you won't need to dose for some time yet. Weekly water changes will replenish all the elements that you need starting off. Once your coral density increases then you can test the water to determine if you need to start to dose anything.

My tank was full of sps when I started dosing (after a couple of years). I have 8 channels running on my tank. 3 channels for Alk, Ca, Mg and 4 channels dosing major and minor elements. One channel is not in use. I test for all of these to make sure the tank is in balance and at levels where they need to be.

SPR

I would not even consider a dosing pump or system of any sort, until I have figured out how much and what I will be dosing.

Do you dosing manually until you have all this worked out. Don't buy more than you need. As a general rule, don't dose anything you can not test for. As a note, you can test how something like NoPox is working because you can measure nitrates and phosphates, and see id you have any algae issues.

For the time being run things manually, see what you need and only then invest in a dosing system. Also, if you find the product doesn't do much for you, you can just stop using it, and you will not have spent money on a fairly expensive dosing pump or system.

I have been running a 260 already and dosing manually the NoPoX and testing all water parameters etc and it does work I am not intending dosing anything into the 650 for a while as its not necessary. The reason for the question about the dosing pump is which ones are the best? I also have a chance to buy 5ltr tubs of it at £25 off per tub for the NoPoX as on offer.

Rini

Don't want to be a party pooper.
A few of my friends / family have dosing pumps, not the cheapest ones. And I hear them regular complaining that things stopped working, not dosing correctly. Spending hours to get things ok again. Seems they have more worries about there system as me. I'm dosing manual. In the morning 10 minutes and done for the day.
I always thought those kind of auto things must help you. To me it seems they bring more troubles as advantage.
Read on an dutch forum that a few people experienced an crash of the tank because of failing pumps.
The time they need to check the pumps daily is more as me dosing manual.

Just my opinion off course. And there are probably enough people without problems.

mike1970

lmao people think just because you have a dosing pump you don't need to check your water parameters. even with a dosing pump you still need to do weekly checks of at least ALK because in my reefing time that is the most important (ALK Kills) the one thing a dosing pump does for you is free you from your tank it can dose multiple times a day keeping your tank chemistry super stable but its another piece of equipment and should be treated as such like check to see if pumps are working no air bubbles in the tubes ect ect...... I run a bubble-Magus dosing pump on both of my tanks not the best pumps but they do the job. Dosing pumps can be your friend if used correctly

ajkdark

Kamoer make a very reliable dosing pump.
Auto dosing. Once you have your dosing regime, sorted.
Is the way to go.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
+1 to Kamoer and you can get one that 3, 4 or 5 dosing pumps on the units and master-slave setups are easy as well.
They're fantastically priced and made by a medical equipment company so they're made really well too :) mine didn't miss a beat in the 3 years I ran it :)
I have a Pacific Sun Kore 5th doser now which I love but they're rather pricey but come with the functions to match :)

HTH

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Kamoer make a very reliable dosing pump.
Auto dosing. Once you have your dosing regime, sorted.
Is the way to go.
Thanks. I had not heard of that make and having read up they look very good. I can see they are not cheap but I assume you get what you pay for with this type of kit. I won't need it just yet but will probably get one of these in next few months

Last edited: