Aussie Peninsular

Mandy11

HI,
Have stalked this site for ages and after a friend recommended it thought I would introduce ourselves and show you our tank build.

We had fresh water for about 18 months, wanted to make the move to salt water. After doing lots of research we saw that a large % of people drop out of the hobby within 12 months.
So our fist tank was a 2nd hand set up, we thought we would try first to see if it was something we would like to do long term. Very quickly we were sooooo addicted.
After 18 months of our practice tank lol. We decided to build our own. We made note of all the things we hated about the current tank and change them so suit our needs a little better.
We decided to go with a custom made tank.
Here is some info on the current set up that is now 7 months old.

Tank
7 x 2.5 x 2.5 Star fire Peninsular
6 x 2.2 x 2 sump 5 chamber
1 x 2.2 x 2 Top up water storage

Equipment

Deltec TC2060
2 x 150w Maxpect Gyers (tunzes in cupboard just in case )
2 x TLF reactors 1 x carbon 2 x rowaphos
Marine Magic 3 channel doser
Debary 25w UV
Laguna 7600lt/hr return pump
Tunze ATO

Sump
5 chamber
skimmer / live rock mushrooms / chateau / live rock & chateau / return

Lighting'
ATI 8 x 80 w programmable

Stock
Magnificent Foxface
Blonde Nasso
White cheek Tang
2 x clowns
2 x hippo (blue) Tangs
1 Yellow Tang
1 Purple Tang
Coral Beauty
Flame angel
Copperband butterfly
Cleaner Wrasse
Lopezi Tang

LPS dominated although starting to dabble in SPS

Parameters

Salinity 1.026
Mag 1280
Cal 420
Alk 8.3
Nitrate 0.00-0.02
Phos 0.00-0.03

Water change 300ltrs every 21 days.
Only use natural salt water.

Very open to any comments or criticism as always ready to learn and tank on board people's ideas.
Thanks for reading

Tank & Sump.JPG Downs & ups..JPG Long shot under plumbing.JPG Tank filling.JPG crystal clear 001.JPG 1 week today 005.JPG End (2).JPG 009 (2).JPG HI,

Mandy11

Top job, tank looks amazing. Great pics too :thumber:
Tank has a long way to go, thats what I love so much about this hobby. Learning something new everyday.
I cant wait for it to grow out a little and the fish (all tiny at moment) to grow and start filling the tank a little more.
Thanks you for the lovely comments very much appreciated.

DaveK

Great looking tank. The one area I would recommend you reconsider is the number of tangs in there. I counted 7 in your stock list. As of now, they are not going to be too much of a problem, but as they grow and become mature, they are going to be a problem. Tangs are big dirty fish, and larger ones can really create a lot of waste. I suggest you cut the number back to about 3 or 4. You could get other fish.

Mandy11

Great looking tank. The one area I would recommend you reconsider is the number of tangs in there. I counted 7 in your stock list. As of now, they are not going to be too much of a problem, but as they grow and become mature, they are going to be a problem. Tangs are big dirty fish, and larger ones can really create a lot of waste. I suggest you cut the number back to about 3 or 4. You could get other fish.
Hi thank you. I appreciate your comments. I know as they mature there can be aggression issues. I am very aware of that. We have a " no aggression" policy. No fish deserves to live in fear. So any sign of aggression the fish concerned is moved on. But I do understand what your saying. With regards to dirty yup they sure do poop a lot. I run 0.00 nitrates and am not overly concerned that this will become a problem. I recently turned my skimmer off for 10 days to try & get some for the health of my corals. It didn't work ! Once again I test weekly and if it started to be a problem I would def consider things.

SantaMonicaHelp

RS Sponsor
Looks amazing, very well done
2thumbsup.gif

Beautiful pictures, great job!

~SF

The new HOG, SURF and DROP scrubbers® from www.Santa-Monica.cc

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Well hello there :wave::wave:

As I usually say tank is looking stunning Lesley :yup: Good to see you joining in over here, aside from The Reefuge, Reef Sanctuary is the only equal in my eyes! It's basically the US version so you'll definitely love it here, lots of nice folk around that are going to love seeing another Aussie tank as nice as yours ;)

@DaveK I can definitely vouch for Lesley's ability to take care of her fish, one of the most dedicated reefer's to their fish I've seen :) So while growth and aggression may become an issue in future, Lesley would be one of the few I wouldn't be concerned about having so many tangs and making sure they're all treated with the care and respect they need and deserve :)

Mandy11

Well hello there :wave::wave:

As I usually say tank is looking stunning Lesley :yup: Good to see you joining in over here, aside from The Reefuge, Reef Sanctuary is the only equal in my eyes! It's basically the US version so you'll definitely love it here, lots of nice folk around that are going to love seeing another Aussie tank as nice as yours ;)

@DaveK I can definitely vouch for Lesley's ability to take care of her fish, one of the most dedicated reefer's to their fish I've seen :) So while growth and aggression may become an issue in future, Lesley would be one of the few I wouldn't be concerned about having so many tangs and making sure they're all treated with the care and respect they need and deserve :)
Loving the site already. As you have said very close in ways to the fuge. Nice to have such a nice community. I certainly respect people's comments regarding the tangs & them showing concern. I really appreciate the lovely words you've said @Wrangy I do care very much for my fish but people that don't know me like you do have every right to " question". Thanks for the welcome everyone ! :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Loving the site already. As you have said very close in ways to the fuge. Nice to have such a nice community. I certainly respect people's comments regarding the tangs & them showing concern. I really appreciate the lovely words you've said @Wrangy I do care very much for my fish but people that don't know me like you do have every right to " question". Thanks for the welcome everyone ! :)
It's lots of fun :)
I agree, everyone should ask their questions and make their comments :) I just thought I might offer a little more insight into your methods and abilities :) I have been watching your tank journals for some time now :p haha

Mandy11

holy cow! Love the custom tank! Everything looks very healthy and seems to be thriving. Great job!
Lol. Holly cow ! That's a new one. I like it. Thank you very much. Most things are pretty healthy. But have certainly had some ups & downs along the way. :)

Mandy11

It's lots of fun :)
I agree, everyone should ask their questions and make their comments :) I just thought I might offer a little more insight into your methods and abilities :) I have been watching your tank journals for some time now :p haha
You stalker !!!! Lol ( just between you and I ). About 90% sure this tank has been sold. Watch this space ;) not news for fuge ! Lol

Biggles

Beautiful reef you've created Mandy, i love your CBB he looks awesome. I tried one a few months back but my yellow tang wouldn't stop bullying him and he basically had no chance to settle in and eat.