ATTN all current and future clam keepers!!

jnohs

I would like to mention to that i do not belive mh or vho lighting is necessary for a clam. I have had my clam about 2-3 years and it has easily doubled its size. I run 6 ho-t5 54w each. I just belive that clean water, stability in salinity and temp go a very long way.

jplira

My sister just brought me a clam from the beach today, i let it acclimate before i put it in my tank, yet it didn't open up, it literally acted like a damn sand sifting starfish and hid under my sand. are these types of clams beneficial to the tank or will it become a nuisance?

DaveK

My sister just brought me a clam from the beach today, i let it acclimate before i put it in my tank, yet it didn't open up, it literally acted like a damn sand sifting starfish and hid under my sand. are these types of clams beneficial to the tank or will it become a nuisance?

Generally the type of clams you are talking about are strictly filter feeders and spend their life buried in the sand. Long term they are difficult to keep alive, because of the feeding requirements. Your usually better off removing it.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Also don't forget... most clams look best from directly above :)

This is one of the great advantages of a reef pool... the ability to get right up on top of the clam, with no glass or acrylic to look through.