Attacking Clowns

Draco

So I have a pair of aggressive clowns in my 29 gal cube.

They're so aggressive, that I can't stick my hand in the tank to do what I need to do. They'd bite and hit me over and over.. they've actually broken skin, and I didn't even know that was possible! They just recently got brave enough to attack me.

Any ideas how I can control them long enough for me to adhere corals down? I can't net them since they're just too fast. I couldn't even secure my new frags fast enough. I don't like wearing gloves because I can't feel what I am doing. any suggestions?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Other than pick a pair of LESS AGRESSIVE Clownfish...I doubt there is anything else You can do. In a 29g space, it's kinda hard to give them their own space & house any other fish. A tough situation. :confused:
You might consider putting something in the tank that they could "host".
I have a tiny clay pot in my tank and that's all my clownfish pair defend.
What kind of clowns are they? :clownfish:
Where is your tank thread Draco? :fishy: ....don't see a link.

Draco

I don't have a tank thread.. if I do, it's dead, lol. It's a JBJ 29 gal nano cube. nothing fancy about it!I think they're perculas, or false.. or ocelleris.. lol. one of those, I keep forgetting!

I thought about putting a pot in the back for them.

The only other fish I have in there is a 6-line wrasse and a randall goby. The clowns leave them alone. no other fish (nor do I plan on other fish!)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
A Tip for anyone new - to RS - To quickly find your post/threads - you can click on your screen name, then click on, Profile Page, then click on the tab Postings or Recent Activity

009.gif

At the bottom of the page you will find these two links

Find all content by xxxxxxx (your username) This link takes you to all the post you have made

Find all threads by xxxxxxx - This link takes you to all the threads you have started.

blazend

hmmm are they hosting anything? My clowns were pretty tame until i got them a giant anemone to host now they bite me anytime i'm on the left side of the tank where the anemone lives.

I only know tricks to get fish to stop being aggressive towards each other but for them to be aggressive towards you is a different story. I am surprised though that's usually a maroon clown and not Perculas.

Draco

They have the entire tank to host, lol. nothing in particular they're protecting other than each other and their home. No matter where I moved my hand to, they'd attack. I am going to try feeding at the same time as I need to work the tank, maybe that'll help.

Thanks for the tip on finding previous posts!

EDIT: Looks like I don't have a tank thread for my 29 gal JBJ, just my old 9 gal. I guess I just feel like no one actually follows so I never made one, lol

Dracko

So I have a pair of aggressive clowns in my 29 gal cube.

They're so aggressive, that I can't stick my hand in the tank to do what I need to do. They'd bite and hit me over and over.. they've actually broken skin, and I didn't even know that was possible! They just recently got brave enough to attack me.

Any ideas how I can control them long enough for me to adhere corals down? I can't net them since they're just too fast. I couldn't even secure my new frags fast enough. I don't like wearing gloves because I can't feel what I am doing. any suggestions?
I KNOW THE FEELING (OUCH!). Mine were the same way. I started wearing gloves, and when they attacked I would gently chase them back into a corner until I saw them take a submissive posture. After several times doing that they began halting their attacks, and are much better about letting me put my hand in the tank. I think you just need to show them who's boss. I have not been bitten in weeks now.:guns:

mtsully71

I clean a tank for a local Dr. here and he has had a Tomato Clown for at least 8 years, that darn fish is aggressive and always bumps, nips hits my hand when cleaning the tank. I have wanted to send him down the thunder box many times, but they won't let me as he is the old man in the tank. I bet as they get more used to you invading the house they will ease back, but they will always be watching.......always watching :shark4:

Triggerjay

I have a mean clown, but it's scared of the turkey baster. I just put it in the tank and the clown runs and hides allowing me enough time to do what I need.

Draco

I have yet tried my turkey baster. They left me alone once.. but attacked the crap out of me when I was trying to move GSP off the main rocks. I know they don't host in there, but geesh they're mean! lol

DaveK

What you do here is put the net in the tank and chase the clowns around for a few min. They will duck into the LR. The leave the net in the tank close to where they are. Then you are free to work on the tank.

Yea, some clowns can be really mean.

Ceejai777

I agree with the advise to show them who's boss. My last clowns (b&w pair) attacked my hand and arm every time I put it in the tank, then my six-line Wrasse began copying them (he would follow them around). I would shoo them away with my hand or the net. Stubborn little buggars, they can be.

soco

Ya clowns can be very mean. Their cute wiggles trick us but once they "host" (which they will do with just about anything) they get VERY territorial.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk