Attacked.

thedru13

So just got a call from home. Lost my BLue spot. I said how. Tank is healthy have 2 clowns yellow tang and a Bt trigger. Never any aggression issues with any fish they leave my corals one everyone is happy until today. My trigger came out of his cove and chomped the jawfish. Huge chunk taken out of his body.

Has anyone heard of a trigger going this? Also the jawfish is still moving. I took him out of the tank and out him in isolation is there any chance of him surviving? Not sure what to do.

That's real crappy... Sorry for your Blue Spot.

So just got a call from home. Lost my BLue spot. I said how. Tank is healthy have 2 clowns yellow tang and a Bt trigger. Never any aggression issues with any fish they leave my corals one everyone is happy until today. My trigger came out of his cove and chomped the jawfish. Huge chunk taken out of his body.

Has anyone heard of a trigger going this? Also the jawfish is still moving. I took him out of the tank and out him in isolation is there any chance of him surviving? Not sure what to do.

Oxylebius

Picture?

How deep is it? If there aren't any organs affected the fish can heal on its own. Keep it isolated and keep the WQ pristine. Also, to reduce it's stress try to add enough sand and rubble so it can build itself a den to feel safe in. And lower the temp to 72 degrees.

thedru13

Picture?

How deep is it? If there aren't any organs affected the fish can heal on its own. Keep it isolated and keep the WQ pristine. Also, to reduce it's stress try to add enough sand and rubble so it can build itself a den to feel safe in. And lower the temp to 72 degrees.

I just got home. Girlfriend removed him but it's bad. Worse than I thought. Good portion of his tail is gone and he has a Chunk out of his body.
Just snapped this pic. Don't think he will survive this. Again he is still breathing and moving.
4ade2u2y.jpg

Oxylebius

It can also be good to pad the wound with an antibiotic such as Mercurochrome (if the fish is lethargic and you can handle it) or to add an antibiotic like tetracycline and chloromycetin (chloramphenicol) to the water in the QT to prevent the wound from becoming infected.

Remember, it is important to reduce its stress.....

Oxylebius

Just saw the pic. Sorry. It does not look good at all. It looks like the spinal cord has been injured. The fish is not gonna make it. So sorry about this. Triggers are considered one of the more aggressive fish to have....

reefle

That's really sad to see :( I feel for the little guy. triggers are notorious for being aggressive fish and not reef safe right? maybe you should relocate him before he does any more damage...

lbiminiblue

I just got home. Girlfriend removed him but it's bad. Worse than I thought. Good portion of his tail is gone and he has a Chunk out of his body.
Just snapped this pic. Don't think he will survive this. Again he is still breathing and moving.
4ade2u2y.jpg
holy....yeah I don't see him coming out of that. I don't know how well fish can regrow tails, especially in cases where most of it is gone. The back bite is pretty serious, but I don't see anything else except flesh in it. Unfortunately the stress from that will be enormous. With a ton of care, you may be able to bring him back...I have my doubts though, considering that he'll be having a hard time eating. Try your best, he's worth it. I feel for you, man. I've had my hand chomped by a triggerfish while fishing, and it ripped my palm apart....not many small creatures can survive a triggerfish chomp.

Oxylebius

I'm really sorry, but the chance of survival is low. You can try. But, with a spinal cord injury, it is not likely. If you want to try you will definitely need to get antibiotics on the fish asap.

Or you can put it down humanely to end it suffering. Do you have any clove oil or Finquel to humanely put the fish down with?
Don't flush it. That is absolutely inhumane and the fish has already suffered a lot.

thedru13

Thanks everyone. So been conducting my own episode of CSI. Talking to the girlfriend and she witnessed it. Appears that the jawfish was having a bit if a turf war with the trigger. Jawfish was trying to boot the trigger out of his cove.

It's a bit odd cause my yellow tang swims in and out of where the trigger sleeps and hides all the time. No issue.

It's a blue throat trigger. Have never had any aggression issue with him and he never eats at my corals or rocks. He has been a good fish.

I may have something to do this in a humane way. Wouldn't flush him. Will see if he makes it the next 30 mins but looks like he may have already lost the battle. :-(. Appreciate the quick replies and support.

Oxylebius

Territorial battles do happen in tanks. This was natural fish behavior, not good or bad judgment made on the fish. If you are happy w/the trigger, I'd keep it.