ATI Purle+bulbs

ktuggle

Does anyone have any PAR info on these bulbs? I'm thinking about going with 3 Blue+ and 3 Purple +'s. Right now I'm running 3 blue+,1 purple +, 1fiji purple, 1 aquablue. The 1 aquablue washes all the other colors out and makes everything look white. I love the look of my tank when I have 1 blue + & 1 purple + running. The aquablue and fiji purple are going on 11months old so I was going replace with 2 more purple + bulbs but didn't want to kill my PAR to much my getting rid of the aquablue. On a side note, I have to say that I like the looks of the Purple + better than the fiji purple. ATI all the way now!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ATI bulbs. They usually rank close to tops in all testing done.

I just happen to be on the other side of the fence and like the KZ Fiji better than Purple +. Of course it depends on what makes your eyes happy and what colors of coral you're trying to make POP in your tank.

ktuggle

Purple Plus don't have much PAR. If you cut the aquablue out you will have zero daylight bulbs...

Blue + bulbs produce just as much PAR than many "daylight bulbs". I just haven't seen much info on the purple + yet. What would be the disadvantages of having zero "daylight" bulbs if you PAR values are equivalant to having "daylight bulbs"?

EricTheRed

The purple plus is marketed as a supplemental bulb. You should use it under the assumtion that it will not do much of anything except make your corals look nice. This was also conveyed to me by an ATI distributor.

TylerHaworth

Blue Plus have excellent PAR, Purple Plus do not. Even though their names are similar (which leads to the natural assumption that performance is similar) the bulbs and the broadness of spectrum they provide are vastly different.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Exactly as stated... Purple + is to make the coral look cool.... Blue+ is to make some serious light energy that's available for the coral. This is one of those cases where the names are very misleading to say the least. Also the ATI Purple + isn't nearly as wide spectrum as the KZ Fiji Purple is. See below . . .

***borrowing graphs from www.reefgizmo.com***
ATI Spectrum Graph
atipurpleplusspectrum-460x322.jpg

KZ Fiji Purple Spectrum Graph (different format but we'll get to that shortly)
kzfijipurplespectrum-460x232.jpg

and here they are super-imposed together showing just how much more you get from the KZ Fiji Purple
kzfijipurplevsatipurpleplus-460x322.jpg

So now instead of just taking someone's word for it you can see with your own eyes the TRUE difference on those two bulbs.

*** Full story located at
KZ Fiji Purple vs. ATI Purple Plus | Reef Gizmo