Ask Red Sea

Discussion in 'Red Sea' started by Witfull, Sep 22, 2008.

1. RedSeaKev

RedSeaKev RS Sponsor

Hi John,
    Your not likely to match the results that we give in the instructions as they are based on true live rock and not seeded rock, you simply won't have the bacterial diversity that is found in true live rock,simply continue but wait before introducing livestock until you achieve the recommended values, it will take a few days longer but it will cycle.

2. sammoj

sammoj New Member

Thanks I have the option of moving a single Marine Pure plate from my existing marine tank which I intend to do anyway, it has been in the current tank for 3 months. My thoughts were to do this once the tank has properly cycled and at the time I move my existing livestock to the new tank which consists of 1 x Filefish, 1 x Yellow Tank, 3 x Lyre Tail Anthia's and a Common Clown. The intention is to move all of these in one go along with the Marine pure block and soft corals. Does this sound reasonable as a plan?

The tank today tonight was showing signs of a bacterial bloom after I added the NoPox which I took to be a good sign and it has since cleared.

John

3. RedSeaKev

RedSeaKev RS Sponsor

Hi John,
    Ideally you don't want to be seeing bacterial blooms, this can be caused by over dosing No3Po4-X so now is the time to check you No3 dosage with a high accuracy test kit like Red Sea's it may also be worth checking your skimmer, make sure there's not a film build up affecting the performance of you skimmer, check your volume and dosage as well.

4. sammoj

sammoj New Member

Hi Kev

That could have been as I moved the dose to morning from night time as I am away on business a few times this week and not able to dose at night. This would have meant i dosed twice in 12 hours rather than 24 hours. It has now cleared but I will do a test with the colour wheel test kit tomorrow night and see what Nitrate is accurately at. I also used the last of the Nitroback and BacStart this morning as it was day 10.

Does it make sense to move the Marine Pure block at the same time as the fish once the cycle is completed?

John

5. RedSeaKev

RedSeaKev RS Sponsor

Hi John.
    Yes, absolutely the Marine Pure block is going to help with nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria so can only enhance, better still if No3Po4-X has been used on your other system.

6. sammoj

sammoj New Member

Thanks I will look to move the block over at the same time as the fish. Beginning to see Ammonia drop and Nitrite has risen. No more Bacteria bloom so think things are beginning to balance out now at day 11.

7. sammoj

sammoj New Member

Hi again, Now on Day 17. Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 1 and Nitrates sky high - I can't get an accurate reading from either normal or colour wheel test kit.

The Nitrites have been 0,5 or higher for nearly a week now.

I have added both the Marine Pure block from my existing tank about a week ago and also added some BioSpheres which were in my old tank for 3 days.

It seems to be stuck - should i purchase another kit and add some more bacteria or bacto-start to the tank? I am concerned things seem to have got stuck as Ammonia isn't present but Nitrites don't seem to be moving which I would have expected by now to be on a downward trend?

Until today I have been getting about 1/2 a cup of milky skimmate in the skimmer. Today the skimmer has just started foaming heavily and is very difficult to adjust.Nothing has been added to the tank other than NoPox, Alk was fine at just below 9 so i have not been adding the buffer.

As I have a decorator booked to finish the decorating next week I have only got about a week left to get the fish transferred and the old tank moved so panicking a bit. My gut feel is i should call the decorator tomorrow and postpone him coming as from what I am reading elsewhere it looks like this has not worked and i am going to have to start the cycle again or go maybe go down the old fashioned route.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

John

500l tank - used 2 kits

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  8. StanD

StanD New Member

Just picked up a white s650 max and the right stand panel is damaged. How do I go about getting a replacement panel shipped to me? Everything else looks great! Thank you.