Are these Feather Duster Babies? PHOTO ADDED

jerobinson

Hey Everyone,

I noticed today that one of my small feather dusters has produced this jelly out of his tube that encases the top of in now. inside the jelly I can see hundreds of little white dots. Are these eggs? Has anyone seen this before. Picture Below

Thanks> Josh
IMG_3251.jpg

Last edited:

BigJay

Re: Are these Feather Duster Babies?

upload the pic to photobucket then drop the IMG tag here. It will allow you a much higher resolution photo.

jerobinson

Looks like either bacterial or fungal.
I take it that was just a guess. It was completely clear and he secreted it I believe. It has gathered a little debris from the tank. Maybe the picture doesn't do it justice. Unless you have somehow tested this kind of thing before, I don't think that's right. I appreciate the try though.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Uhh...it was no more of a guess than yours. Good luck finding someone to tell you what you want to hear rather than the possibilities.

BigJay

I think most tube worms are broadcast breeders. Meaning egg and sperm are cast into the water. So you wouldn't see an egg sack.

jerobinson

I wasn't trying to mean. I did some research and found that tube worms will (according to species) create "sacs" containing zygotes that will in turn become flagellated gametes, then release from the sac, and eventually settle down somewhere in the tank to become a new tubeworm. The online information is limited though. I'm really not trying to be mean. You just seemed pretty sure that it was "bacteria of fungus". it seemed as though you had disregarded the fact that my feather duster excreted the jelly like substance himself. I was looking for real answers, not guesses. that's all dude. sorry if I upset you. I'm new to this site. maybe I haven't learned proper Reef Sanctuary Etiquette. Plus I'm studying to become a biologist and was in the army for eight years. so I have a tendency to be pretty blunt and sometimes I step on toes. I sometimes forget that most people on here aren't biologists or veterans. seriously, sorry bout that.

jerobinson

I've seem my bigger one sending out his/her "love juice" but this one is acting very differently. I'm wondering if this one fertilizes inside the tube, or keeps the eggs in this jelly while they are fertilized but another individual. Anyone who's interested should look up tube worm reproduction. It is quite strange and diverse.

lcstorc

How on earth is anyone going to be able to specifically identify what that is without at least a microscope? Even with a microscope most wouldn't know what they are looking at unless they have seen it before to compare.

jerobinson

I agree. someone might have seen it before though. Maybe they saw it happen in their tank and a few weeks or months later they began to see more feather dusters pop up where thy didn't exist before.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I'm not upset. I do find it unusual that you are not open minded to other possibilities to be blunt with you.

BTW, I have a bachelors degree in biology with a minor in zoology as well as a doctorate in dentistry. I have studied microbiology, cell biology, histology and embryology in both humans and animals.

BigJay

Scott can you tell me what these critters are in my mouth then? hehe just trying to lighten the moment.

Varga

Its tube looks like a tiny duster but the feathers are funky.

Scott, will you give me some instructions on a DIY extraction? :D

jerobinson

Lol. you definitely have plenty of qualifications. maybe you're right. I didn't mention that I was studying biology so you could wipe the floor with my non existent qualifications. I didn't think I was being close minded either. I have just had the experience on other forums that people will look at a post, give a quick guess, and other people won't even bother paying attention to what the person is posting about because someone has already kind of closed the question with a quick answer. I'm sure you can understand where I'm coming from with all your qualifications... when you have really analyzed something and have dug for answers (being as intelligent as you are) and as soon as you pose the question, someone comes through and quickly dismisses your question. but I realize you weren't doing that. I should have been nicer. like I said. sorry dude. I'll try to not respond so sharply when people try to help. Even if I have already thought about the possibility of something and dismissed it myself. They could still be right. How about this, if after a few weeks or months go by and new feathers are beginning to appear, we can conclude that it MAY have been a gelatin protected mass of eggs. if not, who knows. Hopefully at some point someone can answer my original question with some certainty...... has anyone seen this before? do you know if they are eggs? =) Lol. It's my first day, and I already love this forum. so exciting. look at the people you get to meet and offend. (not on purpose)

jerobinson

The picture is up top Lynn. If you look at the white tip of the tube, there is this translucent "globe" of gelatin type material surrounding it. The feather duster is hiding because my finger is there. It's just a tad away from the tip of my finger. Lol you guys are so much fun, seriously. My buddy said I would like this sight. I can appreciate how everyone on here at least "speaks" with some dignity. I quit going on the internet for awhile because it seemed as though everyone was speaking with really bad street slang. I'm no good typing like that.

lcstorc

Scott can you tell me what these critters are in my mouth then? hehe just trying to lighten the moment.

I was goofing off asking for a pic of the critters in his mouth so Scott could ID them.
I know nothing about feather duster procreation. In my mind they just appear on the LR when the tank is happy.

Varga

So it is a Feather duster with what Looks like either bacterial or fungal around the opening of the tube.

you are BOTH right, everyone wins WOOO HOOOO I guess you 2 are not getting banned after all :D :D :D

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Lol. you definitely have plenty of qualifications. maybe you're right. I didn't mention that I was studying biology so you could wipe the floor with my non existent qualifications. I didn't think I was being close minded either. I have just had the experience on other forums that people will look at a post, give a quick guess, and other people won't even bother paying attention to what the person is posting about because someone has already kind of closed the question with a quick answer. I'm sure you can understand where I'm coming from with all your qualifications... when you have really analyzed something and have dug for answers (being as intelligent as you are) and as soon as you pose the question, someone comes through and quickly dismisses your question. but I realize you weren't doing that. I should have been nicer. like I said. sorry dude. I'll try to not respond so sharply when people try to help. Even if I have already thought about the possibility of something and dismissed it myself. They could still be right. How about this, if after a few weeks or months go by and new feathers are beginning to appear, we can conclude that it MAY have been a gelatin protected mass of eggs. if not, who knows. Hopefully at some point someone can answer my original question with some certainty...... has anyone seen this before? do you know if they are eggs? =) Lol. It's my first day, and I already love this forum. so exciting. look at the people you get to meet and offend. (not on purpose)

You are an officer and a gentleman! I understand your indifference to other forums and accept your explanation. Accept my apology for being short. I was merely offering a differential.

reefer4200

ive noticied that too. This is the only forum i have come across where we welcome newbs and are open to ?? and we TRY to answer them. On most forums people dont ever respond to your questions...atleast IME. reefsanctuary ROCKS!