are emerald crabs reef safe?

cracker

Hey Folks I just acquired 3 emerald grabs. (long story) Anyway If any crab doesn't have blue legs and lives in a sea shell I don't trust them! What do You think?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think crabs are opportunistic eaters. I just don't trust them.
I may or may not have some in my refugium, have not seen them in a long time.
You might be able to catch Emerald Crabs back out of your DT easy enough, if you find out that they are being EVIL. :crab3:
:crab4:

Oxylebius

All crab are omnivores. Some crabs are more prone to eat meaty items and others algae.

Emerald crabs prefer algae. But, if your tank doesn't have any algae, then they will take the opportunity to eat other things instead of starving. That said, all crabs will have preferences on the type of algae they prefer as well. So, they may not devour very type of algae in your tank.

If in doubt, best to feed your crabs on occasion.

cracker

So Ya want the long story, Oxy, I'm happy You asked LOL! Anyway I didn't win the ugly tank contest here, but I did from my local reef club! When I was presented with the award, I started into my acceptance speech they all told me to shutup! LMAO So I got a bunch of snails and hermits and 3 emerald crabs. I don't trust crabs either. No not at all! Now I'm sure my new CopperBand would like one smashed so she could pick at it but I just don't have the heart to do it. So I put them in the refugium. They can eat all the algae they want in there! We have been over the crab thing a bunch of times. I'm sure some Folks like them. Thanks!

Last edited:

Coraljunkie

When acclimating them to your tank put in a piece of algae that you want them to eat. More often then not they'll start eating it. Once they're in the tank they usually clean it up. Worth a shot

Oxylebius

I'm one that loves crabs! :crab3:

Here is mine, he is a beast to all small hermits and snails. But, I've had this :hermit: for ~6 years or so. One of the first critters I bought when setting up my 40g. It made the transfer to my RSM250 and I still have it. He does take out my smaller snails and hermits, when it can get its claws on them. But, my nephew absolutely adores it. And I replenish my smaller snails and hermits once a year..... so I have a little nature in my tank, tis what it is, all creatures eat other creatures....that is life.

This hermit is about 1.5-2 inches in size....

cracker

Run little snails run! here comes the beast LOL! Is it a blue leg hermit? Now Kelsey's Hermit is very common here in Florida waters They get Big! I saw one bigger than a baseball living in a conch shell. I understand the big ones eat the little ones. That's Mother Nature. Beautiful animal and You take the nicest pics! I looked for the emeralds today but couldn't see one. I got 2 tiny ones and one bigger quarter sized one.

Pat24601

I theoretically have 3 emerald crabs. I only occasionally see one, so I'm not sure that's true, but I know I put 3 in.

They seem to mostly behave themselves. I was questioning them on one birds nest, but I'm now thinking it was already in trouble and they were just doing what they do.

Oxylebius

Seriously check out its eyes. In both pics the little black dots of its eyes are on me and the camera (cell phone). When it is facing forward and sideways (even sideways!) the little black dots on it eyes are on me. That crab doesn't let anything go by un-noticed!

Jvo

I have 2 Emerald Crabs in my 10 Gallon Nano Tank and 3 Blue Spotted Crabs. None have bothered my corals thus far.

That being said, I have also only had them in there for about 2 weeks.