Are AngelFish in a Mixed reef tank a good idea or not?

i keep reading angels are bold and somewhat aggressive! but so colorful! and says either moniter or Not reef safe! but they are so COLORFUL!!! so i was thinking.... should i try it?!!?

michael_cb_125

YES.

All I keep in my reef are Angels and butterflies. They have amazing personalities and beautiful colors. Just be sure to research or ask others.
:)

~Michael

michael_cb_125

These are some of my Angels/Babies

SANY0108.jpg

SANY0101-1.jpg

SANY0217.jpg

SANY0244.jpg

SANY0785.jpg

degibson84

as long as they are feed often enough that they wont pick at your corals you should be fine with the right species

michael_cb_125

degibson is right. If you keep you angels well fed and stimulated they are much less likely to pick at corals. A bored angel is a threat to a coral.

I feed my tank 4 to 7 times per day, and my fish never get the same foos more than one per week. If you keep them fat and happy, your corals will be the same way. Obviously there are exceptions, but in general this method works well.

~Michael

degibson84

degibson is right. If you keep you angels well fed and stimulated they are much less likely to pick at corals. A bored angel is a threat to a coral.

I feed my tank 4 to 7 times per day, and my fish never get the same foos more than one per week. If you keep them fat and happy, your corals will be the same way. Obviously there are exceptions, but in general this method works well.

~Michael

well i learned this from you michael. in fact after all the info from you over the last week or so i am very tempted to buy the CBB i found that is doing great in the tank at a new LFS i found.

michael_cb_125

That is my Baby. :)

She is a Red Sea Regal Angelfish. And in my opinion one of if not the most beautiful of all the angels. They have such a good personality, and act like little puppy dogs. They are considered an "expert only" fish due to their reluctance to feed in captivity. (but hey, I have had one for around a year, and I am a Newbie)

IME/IMO these are the best angel for a reef tank. Mine has Never touched a single coral, and plays nice with all the other angels. If you are looking for a real challenge, but a very rewarding fish, this is the one for you.
If you have any questions just let me know :)

~Michael

degibson84

that is the most beautiful fish i have ever seen. i have had my 45g tank set up for a few years but just now getting ahold of everything with using RO/DI water.

if it is an expert only fish im not sure i am ready for it yet but would love to one day have one like that

michael_cb_125

That is what I did when starting out. I set goals and as I felt more comfortable with the hobby I progressed accordingly.

As for angels there are many out there that are very pretty and much more durable.

~Michael

michael_cb_125

This is an angel that I always like to show people that I think is overlooked.

lg_0218091-374.jpg

Very Hardy, great personality, and beautiful

~Michael

degibson84

i have seen that one a few times in pics of others reefs so i wouldn't hesitate to put one of those in but i would add it last just in case i decide to add any smaller fish

twoclowns

the million dollar question.................................................:scram: do you have clams with your angels? I really like the flame back too but not sure if I trust it with my corals and clam. thanks Keith

Bigpapa

YES.

All I keep in my reef are Angels and butterflies. They have amazing personalities and beautiful colors. Just be sure to research or ask others.
:)

~Michael

Another question--I also always read that angels are supposed to be 1 per tank. Now I have seen them in a more than 1 per situation a couple of times as well as yours. Is that ever an issue/particular type of angels?

michael_cb_125

First off, all of my angels have been kept with clams with no issues. They are not currently kept with clams, but once I start adding more livestock to the tank, there will be many clams added, and I have no worries.

As for keeping multiple angels in the same tank, it can be done. All of my fish get along great, and I rarely if ever have aggression issues. It all comes down to what type of angels you add and how/when you add them.
For example, large angels and pygmy angels can be mixed with no problems. But Pygmies may fight with other pygmies. The key is to add them at the same time, so one does not have the chance to establish territory.

Also, when adding multiple large angels, it is best to add only one of each group. For instance, you would only want one of the Chaetodontoplus angels,
one of the Pomacanthus, one holocanthus, etc. Obviously multiples can be kept within each group, but it takes time and experience to accomplish this.

Actually I will be keeping a total of 8 to 10 angels in my new tank, along with 4-5 butterflies. So yes it can be done, but typically more advanced fish keepers attempt this :)

~Michael

mps9506

First off, all of my angels have been kept with clams with no issues. They are not currently kept with clams, but once I start adding more livestock to the tank, there will be many clams added, and I have no worries.

Keep in mind with many of these species it is not guaranteed they WILL or WON'T munch or corals or clams. Just my two cents.
Feel free to try them, but don't get angry at them if/when they do what they do. :D

michael_cb_125

I agree 100%. I fully understand this going in. And I put every coral/clam in my tank expecting them to be eaten. This way I am not upset when it happens. To me the fish are more important to the tank.

~Michael

lcstorc

I'm with MPS on this one.
They are certainly beautiful but can decide they like the taste of corals. I had a flameback that was wonderful for 2 years and then started picking away.
I don't know much about the larger angels but the pygmys are better left to one to a tank unless it is a very large tank. Sometimes you can get away with it, but many times you cannot.