aquaticlife G12 discontinued??

Snelly40

hey guys... so I had a ballast go bad and am going to try and fix it or replace it soon but as I was looking today I cant find them and their website says discontinued. I love this light but it worries me if anything goes wrong with it. Anyone know why?

DaveK

I've never used a G12 fixture, but I have replaced ballasts several times in various lighting fixtures.

If you can't get the original style of ballast from the manufacturer, you can often find a similar size one from some place else. You will need to match the ballast to the bulb. You may also need to drill a hole or two so you can mount it.

It's also possible that you can use a different ballast, but due to it's size you'll need to mount it externally from the fixture. This isn't as bad as it sounds.

I do see where Aquatic Life still sells the single bulb 36" fixture. You could get that, and use it to repair your fixture.

All and all, you shouldn't have too hard a time of it.

As for why the light is discontinued I can't speak for AquaticLife. I suspect what happens today is that a manufacturer makes a run of product, and when that sells out they might do another. If it doesn't sell out too fast, they don't make another run. In this case you have a MH bulb that seems to be only 150w, which is a little small by today's standards, and you also have LED lighting coming into wide use.

Snelly40

Ok great, thank you both!!!

Yah the 150 HD I thought would be on the weaker side but man is it bright, next time will be LED for sure